The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Violation?

Here's the situation....

Men's rec league game tonight - all ex-college players who play like the wind! Great close game all the way through to the very end. Team A down 2 points shooting front end of 1 and 1 free throws with 9 seconds left on the clock. I'm the lead with the ball, signal 1 and 1 in the paint, and throw the ball to the free throw shooter. As soon as the free throw shooter touches the ball, he shoots a flat, fast free throw shot directly at the front of the rim, as to get a quick rebound. (I'm still backing out of the paint when the rebound comes straight back at him.) A defensive player stuck his hand in and got the rebound - (the free throw shooter didn't get it).

I've always been taught -(right or wrong) - that the free throw shooter had to make an "attempt" for the basket or it was a violation. This shot was not a fake nor was it in my opionion an "attempt" to make a basket. It was clearly an "attempt" to shoot the free throw quickly, throw off the defensive players, and get a quick rebound for a putback basket to tie the game.

I can't find a rule reference or casebook situation anywhereon this situation. What would be the proper call in your opinion? Violation or play on?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

you are wrong in your assumption -- the only requirement is that the ball must hit the rim -- other than that you have nothing.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

ball at free throwers disposal + no other violations + free thrower throwing the ball so that it touches the rim = PLAY ON

Make sure he doesn't cross the plane of the free throw line before the ball hits the rim. You do not need to read his mind...only see the ball hit the rim.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
you are wrong in your assumption -- the only requirement is that the ball must hit the rim -- other than that you have nothing.
You beat me to it. Good call.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 08:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Angry

If...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRef
I can't find a rule reference or casebook situation anywhereon this situation.
... then why would you look for a reason to make a call in this situation.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:48am
PYRef

So what did you do?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Violation?

Unfortunately, I blew it!!!! Literally!!!!! I blew the whistle, called a violation - (free throw was not a legal "attempt" at the basket with the intention of getting the rebound) - and gave the ball to Team B OOB at the post. Team B went down and scored the last 2 points. Game over with a 4 point win for Team B.

My post said - "right or wrong" that's the way I've been taught. Obviously wrong!!! Last night after the game I went home and re-read the Rule Book, The Rules by Topic Book, The Case Book, and The Official's Manual. The rule isn't there, as I now know. Thanks for the re-inforcement of the "rim" clarification. THAT BONE-HEAD CALL WON'T EVER HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!!!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Was it NFHS rules? Because I think NCAA allows people to step in on the release, don't they? so this strategy wouldn't be as effective, as in fact it wasn't, even if you didn't blow the whistle.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Was it NFHS rules? Because I think NCAA allows people to step in on the release, don't they? so this strategy wouldn't be as effective, as in fact it wasn't, even if you didn't blow the whistle.
FYI, Juulie, NCAA allows for the players in the marked spaces to go on the release. The shooter and all players behind the arc still have to wait for the rim.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Violation?

NFHS rules. I did call the free throw shooter this morning on the phone and "ate some crow"!!!! When he answered the phone, I introduced myself as "the bone-head official who made the terrible call last night". We had a good laugh and decided that we both learned something last night from the game. Thanks for everybody's help!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

wow talk about taking rec league to serious -- give it a year or two and the only time you will be calling a player will be to leave obscene messages about his inability to make an uncontested layup.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
wow talk about taking rec league to serious -- give it a year or two and the only time you will be calling a player will be to leave obscene messages about his inability to make an uncontested layup.
Shhhhh. Not so loud. The statute of limitations hasn't expired on some of those calls yet.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
FYI, Juulie, NCAA allows for the players in the marked spaces to go on the release. The shooter and all players behind the arc still have to wait for the rim.
Mark -- thanks for the clarification. My point was that the strategy of bouncing the ball off the rim seems pretty stupid if the defenders can step into the lane on the release. For the shooter to have to wait takes away even more of the supposed advantage. It's legal, but why bother? It's not going to help!! But if this was played under NFHS rules, then of course that's different.

Still, in the OP the defender did get the ball, so now I'm wondering if the reason we don't see more of this is because it just doesn't work?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You forgot "anonymous."
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Don't beat yourself up too bad. You didn't cost anyone a possession.