The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

HS girls JV game last night--As L is about to bounce the ball to the free throw shooter I see B-5 standing ON the the three point line. I (T) blow whistle to stop my partner, motion to B-5 to back up and motion to my P to go ahead. To me this is just good game maneagement a no-brainer-except maybe I should have seen it a few seconds earlier.

Anybody disagree? Here is why I ask-HS V boys game a few weeks ago. I am the L about to pass the ball to the free throw shooter and see B-1's foot on the line. Before I pass the ball I point to the foot and B-1 backs it up. After the game assignor/evaluator says that would be fine in MS but on the HS level B-1 should know better and I just took an advantage away from team A.

What do you guys do? Does it depend on the level?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

If you saw A2 standing in the first spot or there were 3 Team A players along the lane, would you correct it prior to administering the FT?

Of course you would.

This is no different.

Good job.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Good job. Preventative officiating on minor things like that keeps the benches from getting stupid over the little things that you can prevent.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Yep. Ya' done good.
Z
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 02:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
After the game assignor/evaluator says that would be fine in MS but on the HS level B-1 should know better and I just took an advantage away from team A.

I'll tell you what you do. Exactly what your assignor/evaluator tells you to.

Personally, I'll line 'em up properly.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
After the game assignor/evaluator says that would be fine in MS but on the HS level B-1 should know better and I just took an advantage away from team A.

I'll tell you what you do. Exactly what your assignor/evaluator tells you to.

Personally, I'll line 'em up properly.
Just be aware, that in my experiance, most eval./assignors have been of the opinion of most here. That is, preventative is almost always a good thing.

In this sitch, I agree with JR; do what your assignor tells you to do. And in a sitch like this, if you end up having to make the same call in the future according to your assignors philosophy, it should give you and opportunity to learn how to handle--IMO--a not so good call.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Well this answer is related to FIBA as I am not a USA official.

In FIBA they cannot enter the area until the ball has hit the ring. USA do not know if same applies.

I would not have interrupted the game but whistle a violation only if the player moved substantially into the area before they were allowed. If they did not move prematurely then no call but next time there was a line up I would remind players of the requirements before ball administered for free throw.

Shooters are edgy most of the time so an interruption that really is not necessary should be avoided. IMHO
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 10:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If the shooter is that edgy, there are other problems. I probably wouldn't whistle it, but I would try to let him know that he needs to back up.
Yes, Malcolm, the rule in the US is the same for high school. NFHS says they can't enter the lane until the ball hits the ring or backboard.
My understanding of college, though, is that the players on the lane can jump in when the ball leaves the shooter's hands. The shooter has to wait til the ball hits, and the players not on the line cannot cross the 3 pt line (or FT line extended) until the ball hits either.

Adam