The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Mark -- thanks for the clarification. My point was that the strategy of bouncing the ball off the rim seems pretty stupid if the defenders can step into the lane on the release. For the shooter to have to wait takes away even more of the supposed advantage. It's legal, but why bother? It's not going to help!! But if this was played under NFHS rules, then of course that's different.

Still, in the OP the defender did get the ball, so now I'm wondering if the reason we don't see more of this is because it just doesn't work?
The idea is that it is thrown sufficiently hard that it hits the rim and bounces back before the defense has time to move in. It usually doesn't work not because of the defense, but because it takes a perfect throw to have the ball bounce straight back to the shooter. It's really hard to hit a 1/2" curved target from 15' at precisely the right angle to get a direct return.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Men's rec league game tonight - all ex-college players who play like the wind! Great close game all the way through to the very end. Team A down 2 points shooting front end of 1 and 1 free throws with 9 seconds left on the clock. I'm the lead with the ball, signal 1 and 1 in the paint, and throw the ball to the free throw shooter. As soon as the free throw shooter touches the ball, he shoots a flat, fast free throw shot directly at the front of the rim, as to get a quick rebound. (I'm still backing out of the paint when the rebound comes straight back at him.) A defensive player stuck his hand in and got the rebound - (the free throw shooter didn't get it).

I've always been taught -(right or wrong) - that the free throw shooter had to make an "attempt" for the basket or it was a violation. This shot was not a fake nor was it in my opionion an "attempt" to make a basket. It was clearly an "attempt" to shoot the free throw quickly, throw off the defensive players, and get a quick rebound for a putback basket to tie the game.

I can't find a rule reference or casebook situation anywhereon this situation. What would be the proper call in your opinion? Violation or play on?
I'm curious, you state that these are "all ex-college players". Why in the world would the shooter intentionally miss the front end of a 1 & 1 with his team down by 2 points.??????

Last edited by FishinRef; Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 03:39pm.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

'cause he's a bad shooter and knows he probably won't hit two. 'cause he knows the defense is less likely to expect it on the first shot.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Violation?

Beats me why he threw the ball so fast. I'm not kidding - I was still in the paint backing out when the ball hit the rim. He might have been a poor free throw shooter, might have been the other team's two 6'8" players he tried to get the jump on. (they had swatted three or four regular shots that game). That's why I love the game of basketball!!! Just when you think you've got the strategy all figured out and you expect what will happen the next play....BOOM - the most unexpected thing will happen and you just shake your head in amazement.

I've got these same two reams in games next week. I'll eat a little crow at the first of each game - (becasue by now the free throw shooter has told his whole team I blew the "attempted" free throw call. I'll take my lumps, smile, and toss up the ball for another good game!!
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRef
I've got these same two reams in games next week. I'll eat a little crow at the first of each game - (becasue by now the free throw shooter has told his whole team I blew the "attempted" free throw call. I'll take my lumps, smile, and toss up the ball for another good game!!
Expecting trouble, are you?
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Violation?

WOW.... that was most definately a Fruedian Slip!!!!! ream????

All I really expect is a little ribbing. The teams in the league actually get to pick - (recommend) - the refs from the pool who they think are the better ones. By the first travel call, they will have all forgotten anything in the past that's happened and just consider me 'just another stupid referee'!!!!