The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 03:02pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Uh oh.

When did that change? (Please say this year...) When I was at one camp this past summer, I saw a clinician rip a camper for not watching across the lane and missing an obvious violation. Now I purposely left off watching the top player on your side as C, etc., but I was just trying to point out where the C was described is not really a good spot to be.

I do agree once the shot is released, primaries change. Is that what you meant?
OK...I will say it changed this year if that makes you feel better!

Actually, it did...I had to change that on my pre-game conference sheet...not sure why, and I don't like it much, but it is what it is.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad

Actually, it did...I had to change that on my pre-game conference sheet...not sure why, and I don't like it much, but it is what it is.
Ok, dang it. Now you gonna make me go home and read the manual again.

So, let me get this straight - is the C's position still the same, inside the arc and even with the top of the key?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I always thought the "C" should start around the midway point of the semi-circle and stepped down on the release to move closer to the play. While position below the free-thrower, C's closing in may distract the free-thrower.

Any input on this?
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 04:45pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Ok, dang it. Now you gonna make me go home and read the manual again.

So, let me get this straight - is the C's position still the same, inside the arc and even with the top of the key?
Yep...and still step down and all that. But C now has the weak-side rebound coverage same as on a "regular" shot...

My supervisor has always taught the "half-way, half-way" position for C...IOW, half-way between the sideline and lane line, and half-way between top of circle and free-throw line.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 04:59pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It's supposed to be visible (just a "hand flick" or "opn and close the hand") in FED and NCAAM, not visible in NCAAW.
Someone may want to mention that to Steve Welmer.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 05:07pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
I also noticed that, it was either this game or the Duke Holly Cross game I was flipping back and fourth and cant remeber now, Anyway, one of the officials was doing a visable count for the 10 second count on a free throw.

Is it different in the colledge ranks that they do this? I dont work those levels im just starting to work high school but, it was just something I noticed.
As others have mentioned, this is still a Fed mechanic:

Official's Manual
#240-f. (Two Person Mechanics) The Trail official checks the position of the thrower's feet and begins the visible count (wrist flick).
#350-f. (Three-Person Mechanics) The Center official checks the position of the thrower's feet and begins the visible count (wrist flick).

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 01:57pm.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:58pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Oh boy!
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Steve's a couple of feet taller than I am. I'm not mentioning anything he may be doing incorrectly (EDIT: mechanics-wise) to him!
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad

Ok, I had to bring this up again to help with my confusion.

First off - rocky, you made me pull out my mechanics manual, and the one I have still shows the C has responsibility for the top two, opposite lane spots, as well as the top spot on the same side, and the shooter. The L has the bottom spot on the same side, and the bottom two spots on the opposite side. I only mention this as the pre-shot responsibilities; after the shot hits the rim, I agree the C covers the same side for rebounding action. Are we talking about the same things? Or was there a change that happened after this year's manual came out?

Again, I was responding to the OP, where he mentioned it looked like the C was WAY down, halfway between the FT line and baseline. My comment was at that position it would be very hard to see any lane violations. Now, since then, I have watched a few games and have not seen that mechanic. Now I'm wondering if perhaps j51969 was confused by the angle of the TV cameras. It does look a little like from the angle of the center court camera that the C is farther down.

Or, perhaps, it just gave the C a better look at the cheerleaders?

(Used with permission.)