The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 1999, 01:13am
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by Buckley on 12-06-1999 11:01 AM
I have experienced many instances where as the lead official in 3-man mechanics, I am either rotating too late or too early. Because of this, shots are going up as I am in my rotation, thus causing confusion for my partners or me making calls on the move. Other times, because I am tentative to initiate a rotation, I am staying put, and the "C" is left officiating all the action. What types of specific cues do you use--besides the ball 'settling'--to help you know when to initiate a rotation.

I think the important cues are obtained in the first few offensive sets as you watch how the offenses are developing and as you start to get a feel of what the teams are trying to do and are able to do.

There are a couple of contrasting points of view regarding the Lead's baseline movement.
One is to go to the ball once it gets below the FT extended, and another is to follow the ball when it settles (an offensive play is developing) on one side.

Both cases can and do work, but both can cause you to be in an awkward position with a couple of skip passes.

By keeping in mind your area of primary responsibiliy and the position of the players on the floor, the decisions shouldn't be real hard to to make. Ask yourself where the ball is going next, could your partner use some help. (It's the same a working Strong-side lead in a 2-man game.)

The worst thing to be is tentative. Once you decide it's time to move, GET THERE!

If the ball quickly changes direction while you are moving, help out your partners by determining where they are going. 8 of 10 times they will be looking directly at a fast break and headed down the floor in the same position they were in, before you started your switch. 1 of 10 times they'll be looking over their shoulders to see where you went, and 1 of 10 times they'll be talking and pointing to each other to make sure there is a center AND a lead.

In the case of a fast break going the other way, You balance the floor to them beause the whole game is in front of you.

mick

Old Mon Dec 06, 1999, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

I have experienced many instances where as the lead official in 3-man mechanics, I am either rotating too late or too early. Because of this, shots are going up as I am in my rotation, thus causing confusion for my partners or me making calls on the move. Other times, because I am tentative to initiate a rotation, I am staying put, and the "C" is left officiating all the action. What types of specific cues do you use--besides the ball 'settling'--to help you know when to initiate a rotation.
Old Mon Dec 06, 1999, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

One of the key's I look for is where is the ball going to go. If the ball is on one side of the court and everyone is setting up on the other, odds are the ball is going to go that way. If you are on that side and the move is fast, close down and concentrate on the defenders, if the ball is coming to where you are, you can maintain your position ( inside near 3 point line )and then make your observations in your area of responsibilty.
Dale Kelly told us once in a meeting the lead should be ball side 96% of time, the problem we all have, is how do we determine the other 4%. Hopefully, you can be in position most of the time, but sometimes we can get caught in between moves,
hopefully,that is why the C abd T are there to help out.
Good Luck
Old Wed Dec 08, 1999, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Cool

There is one other thing that the Great Dave Libbey told the other Ref's at the Pac-10 camp. Go by the terms 3 X 3 + 1. In simple terms, 3 people to each ref, with one ref getting 4 people. SO if there are 5 0r more people over on the other side with the C, get your butt over there.