The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Call it or not??

Last night in Junior High game, A1 controls rebound and stands still waiting for everyone else to clear out. B2 comes around the backside of A1 and slaps the arm instead of the ball. Close game and getting more physical as time went on, I called foul. I noticed the coach's face on the way down the court and he didn't look happy about the call. He did not say anything though. Should I have let it go?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 02:27am
PYRef

If it was a foul, call it, close game or not. If you don't, what happens the next time??
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Don't worry about what the coach thinks.
Perhaps he was upset with his player for committing a silly foul 80 feet from the opponent's basket. You don't know.
The only thing that you should concern yourself with was if the contact placed the player with the ball at a disadvantage and needed to be called.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank22
Last night in Junior High game, A1 controls rebound and stands still waiting for everyone else to clear out. B2 comes around the backside of A1 and slaps the arm instead of the ball. Close game and getting more physical as time went on, I called foul. I noticed the coach's face on the way down the court and he didn't look happy about the call. He did not say anything though. Should I have let it go?
Definately a foul. Possible intentional if he wasnt making a play for the ball.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I'd call this at the JH level, but then again I don't work JH except one weekend tournament a year. In a HS game I'd lay off to get them up and down the court. The ball didn't come loose, it didn't gain anyone anything, why stop the game?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I'd call this at the JH level, but then again I don't work JH except one weekend tournament a year. In a HS game I'd lay off to get them up and down the court. The ball didn't come loose, it didn't gain anyone anything, why stop the game?
Ummm, you would pass on an obvious foul like that? That could cause problems. I agree if it is a light tap, but a slap????
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 09:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Ummm, you would pass on an obvious foul like that? That could cause problems. I agree if it is a light tap, but a slap????
Why is it an obvious foul if no advantage was gained? By rule, a necessary aspect for a foul here is an advantage.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Why is it an obvious foul if no advantage was gained? By rule, a necessary aspect for a foul here is an advantage.
I think you need to read this and think about you options:

SECTION 19 FOUL
A foul is an infraction of the rules which is charged and is penalized.

ART. 1 . . . A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live, which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements. A personal foul also includes contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I think you need to read this and think about you options:

SECTION 19 FOUL
A foul is an infraction of the rules which is charged and is penalized.

ART. 1 . . . A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live, which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements. A personal foul also includes contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead.
hey I refu2 nice of you to highlight the text that helps your argument, but if you are really looking for the correct answer you should also note that in the next part of the sentence is says and I quote "which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements". That is what Snaqwells was pointing out and it is a valid point....
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

The leagues I work in don't want this "nickel dime" nickel dime stuff called. It didn't affect anything so why stop play? If the ball gets loose I might call it but that's about the only time. If the coach doesn't like it, I'll just assure him he'll get the same treatment on the other side and we'll move on. If he wants to make a bigger issue of it, I'll just address that if it comes about.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
hey I refu2 nice of you to highlight the text that helps your argument, but if you are really looking for the correct answer you should also note that in the next part of the sentence is says and I quote "which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements". That is what Snaqwells was pointing out and it is a valid point....
His point may be valid in a sence, but the last time I checked, a slap on the arm is a foul. If not, then we need to move to the football forum.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The leagues I work in don't want this "nickel dime" nickel dime stuff called. It didn't affect anything so why stop play? If the ball gets loose I might call it but that's about the only time.
I agree with you but we need to consider this portion of the OP's post: ...and getting more physical as time went on...

Maybe the atmosphere of the game called for a "nickle/dime" call to help clean things up.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I agree with you but we need to consider this portion of the OP's post: ...and getting more physical as time went on...

Maybe the atmosphere of the game called for a "nickle/dime" call to help clean things up.
Good point.That comes with experience sometimes....when to call something like this.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Good point.That comes with experience sometimes....when to call something like this.
I agree with this. If it's getting a little physical it might be a good one to take, but I'd rather get something else like a push on the block or during a rebound.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I agree with this. If it's getting a little physical it might be a good one to take, but I'd rather get something else like a push on the block or during a rebound.
And that falls under the category of "whatever works", as long as it does work. Can't knock the end result imo.
Closed Thread