The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Staying Excited

Hey y'all,
I've been going through some frustrating times. I would be considered a semi-veteran with plenty of experience in the lower levels. I am at the experience level where one usually gets a decent varsity schedule. But, it just isn't happening. In fact, it seems that when the assignor posts an available game and I sign up for it, it's like I have to prove that I deserve the game. Most of the schools around seem to appreciate me but I don't get many calls. Now don't get me wrong; I accept the fact that you must crawl before you walk and work your way up. The problem is that the love of the game is fading away. The desire to lace up the shoes and get on the court just isn't there anymore. I vowed that after I got promoted to Certified (the highest level in state) that I would stay in until the body can't take it. But, now I'm not sure. Anyone else ever gone through, or going through, a lack of confidence period?
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 12:35am
Do not give a damn!!

I have a few questions for you.

Do you have a mentor?

Do you attend camps regularly?

Have you ever asked anyone for an honest evaluation?

Have you ever talked to one of your assignors about your ability or where you stand?

Peace
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

This protains to coaching but I think you can find some use for it

"What keeps me coaching is...How much I enjoy
the game, how much I like trying to put the
next game plan together. If you give something to
the game, if you give what you've got to it...
and you sit down and think, you've gotten back
a hell of a lot more than you've given to it. "--Bobby Knight
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Rut brings up some good points. One of the things I try to get my students to understand is that there are certain things that are out of your control. How games are scheduled is, in a large part, out of our control as an official. You can control your professionalism and effort (not that you are necessarily lacking in either). Work hard on those things and at the very least you will become a better official and at best you will get the games you are looking for.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Aside from JRut's points, which are all valid, there is something to be said for just soldiering on. I have noticed that breaks are fickle beasts, and even the most deserving officials sometimes don't get them when they deserve them, sometimes never at all. Sometimes equally deserving, or even less deserving officials get their breaks long before we do. (Of course, sometimes they get their breaks for really good reasons that we're not ready to understand yet) And then there's the room at the top problem. In order to start taking games away from the folks who are already there, you can't just be as good, you've got to be better than they.

And none of that is really going to make you feel any better, I know.

Which brings us back to where I started: sometimes you just need to soldier on and wait patiently for your time. It would be easy to get bitter and quit, but who would that hurt? Only you. So hang in there.

My wife likes to say that the secret to patience is knowing what to do in the meantime. Perhaps in the meantime you need to find your joy from some other aspect of this game. Maybe mentoring a newcomer or two. Maybe helping out some struggling church or rec. league. Or maybe just avert your watchful stare from your not-yet-boiling pot and focus on enjoying your reffing and the games you are getting. I took part of last season off, and it did wonders for my game, my perspective, and my life balance. I'm not suggesting you take part of a season off, only that there is sometimes something wonderful to be gained by stepping back from our ambitions for a time.

Good luck. One foot in front of the other.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
You need to find someone who will level with you about why you're not moving up. Something is probably not quite there yet, but it might be difficult to get anyone to tell you the truth. Here are some things you can do for yourself, that might help.

Look at game tapes. It's amazing what you see when you see yourself from that different perspective.

Listen carefully to the critique that others get, and try to see if it applies to you. What can you take from the gossip and chat that you hear about others?

Ask someone honestly to write down some critique. This is more likely to be more honest, since it's easier for the critiquing person to avaoid your unpleasant reaction. It's also easier for you to digest something off a piece of paper.

Ask not, "What do I need to do to get better?", ask, "What do I need to do to be like that guy there?" Ask Tom what you need to measure up to Fred. This tells you not only what your weaknesses are, but what strengths you have to work for.

Don't hesitate to set short term step goals, even if you come to realize that the long term goal is a long way off.

Find the company of the best refs in some other way than just being out on the floor. Serve on a committee with them, or join them in training others.

Try to ask yourself what you're really seeking. What if the highest game you could get was JV because you were an old geezer that couldn't cut the mustard any more. Would you quit then? So perhaps you really like higher level ball, and the lower stuff just isn't any fun. If you can't get those higher level officiating assignments, maybe you need to switch to being a coach or a table person, or a trainer or something like that.

Or what if you could work the highest level games, but you could never talk about it for some strange reason. Would you feel satisfied? If not, then glory and the identity of being a top level ref is part of the attraction. There's nothing wrong with this, but it's important to recognize it in yourself.

What if you were offered the perfect evening job with a huge jump in pay, and you could never work the varsity games, even if you were good enough for them? Would you be content to know you're that good, even though you never get to work at that level? I mean, is it the ball itself, or the satisfaction of being highly competent?

I'm just saying keep probing yourself, and your work. Keep trying to find a good fit. Something will work out.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4caster
Hey y'all,
I vowed that after I got promoted to Certified (the highest level in state) that I would stay in until the body can't take it. But, now I'm not sure. Anyone else ever gone through, or going through, a lack of confidence period?

I'm curious, how did you achieve the highest level of the state without working V games? Did you not have to be evaluated and recommended by other certified officials? Your state must do things differently.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

My deepest appreciation to all of the replies. Life is kind of funny; the other night I wrote this, and a few days past, and I have a good potential to pick up some games this year. The biggest thing I have done recently is just find peace . And sitting out a few games and just resting has done that.
To clarify some major points...

"Do you have a mentor? Do you attend camps regularly? Have you ever asked anyone for an honest evaluation? Have you ever talked to one of your assignors about your ability or where you stand?"

I attend two to three camps yearly. There are some great refs that I talk to regularly and they understand my situation. They honestly seek opportunities for me, but sometimes others have more pull. As far as an honest evaluation, everyone says "great game" but I can't get anything further than that. My pessimistic side says that's so those in power can keep me down. That sounds cruel, but we all have these people.

"I'm curious, how did you achieve the highest level of the state without working V games? Did you not have to be evaluated and recommended by other certified officials? Your state must do things differently."

In our state, we have a closed-book part 2 test and ratings from Varsity coaches and certified officials. Back when I got promoted, I had more games, so I was able to work those games. Every time after the games, the coaches and refs said I was going great, but go figure.

To all, thanks for the encouragement. One of these days, the answer will come and all will make sense. But sometimes, one needs to vent, and I appreciate your support during this time. Have a ball on the court (sorry, I couldn't resist :>)
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

What state do you live in? You sound a lot like you work in my state.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:34pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

I'm curious, how did you achieve the highest level of the state without working V games? Did you not have to be evaluated and recommended by other certified officials? Your state must do things differently.
Bob,

I think he's talking about holding the highest level of license in that state (i.e. e.g. in Illinois: X, R, & C. C being the highest.)
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Have you joined an association? Do you attend all the meetings? Do you actively participate in those meetings? Do you attend any of the social outings? Have you done anything that gets you noticed by the assignors or other respected officials in your area?

None of those things relate to whether or not you are a good official, but they all relate to how games are assigned. I am a 5th year official in IL, and hopefully passed my test for the top level last night. I am just beginning be assigned to Varsity contests. I did many of the same things you did, attending camps, asking people about my game, etc..

The one thing I have also worked at is getting my name out there. I always participate in the meetings. I do my best to attend every one. We have 3 scheduled nights out (usually on Fridays after the games). I always attend, even if I didn't have a game that night. Attending meetings has value in improving my knowledge and thus my officiating. The rest is just getting known. Now that people know who I am, when they need a sub, they can mention my name. Hopefully they are acknowledging my skills as well, but as you mentioned, skill alone does not seem to be enough.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The desire to lace up the shoes and get on the court just isn't there anymore.
I'm not sure if I got why you are loosing the love? Are you getting frustrated becuase of the level of games you are getting or is there anything else that is playing on that love as well, outside influences. we all have to go through times of proving ourselves. even after we do we are only as good as the last good game we did. I agree with Rut, get together with someone who will be honest with you about your abilities. Trust me it will happen for you. the other issue could be that the politics are playing a huge role in why you are getting the level of games that you are. IMO

Keep on Trucking!
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

If you aren't getting varsity games, ask yourself why? And be honest.

What could I do that I'm not doing?

Are there areas that I could improve upon?

Have you discussed your opportunities with the assignor?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Have you discussed your opportunities with the assignor?
In my opinion, this is the biggest thing. Where I live we have one assignor for the entire association. Last year, varsity games made up just over 10% of my schedule. I spoke with the assignment secretary and asked his opinion. I started the conversation with "Like everyone in the chapter, I want an entire varsity schedule. I know time will play a part in that and trust that you are giving me the schedule you think I merit. I want to change your opinion of my ability so what are the areas where you think I need to focus? Please, be brutally honest."

We had a good conversation and I found out that much of it had to do with things other than calling fouls...as he said I "called a good game." ...mechanics, appearance, game management, etc. I worked hard on those things while calling summer ball and only attended camps where he would be on staff. It worked...so far this year my schedule is 60% varsity.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Bob,

I think he's talking about holding the highest level of license in that state (i.e. e.g. in Illinois: X, R, & C. C being the highest.)

I got that part, but you have to be evaluated by Certified officials while doing V games to go to R or C here. It must be different where he is.