The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Coach leaves box

Quote:
Rule 10-5-2 The head coach may also confer with personnel at scorer's table to request a 60-second time-out (or one 30-second time-out if that is the only type of time-out remaining) for a correctable error as in 2-10, or to prevent or rectify a timing or scoring mistake or alternating possession mistake.
Is this the only time a coach may leave the coaching box during a live ball? What if the coach has to use the bathroom or something else comes up? Is this covered using 2-3?

This question was raised because someone was watching a JV game and the coach disappeared for half the quarter.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

When ya gotta go, ya gotta go, right squirrelly?

Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart

Is this the only time a coach may leave the coaching box during a live ball? What if the coach has to use the bathroom or something else comes up? Is this covered using 2-3?

This question was raised because someone was watching a JV game and the coach disappeared for half the quarter.
Don't be a plumber.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Don't be a plumber.
Obviously I'm not going to call a technical if the coach has to use the bathroom , I was just asking if this was covered in the rules?

What if the coach is fed up with his team and decides to leave? What if this is after you make a bad call?

Oh........ maybe you were just giving me career advice?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Don't be a plumber.
To expand on BBR's thought - think about the intent of the coach's box and the rule. It is there to allow for a coach to help and coach his/her team, within certain restrictions. The NF decided that coaches were gaining an unfair advantage being able to coach their team outside that designated area, so they made it a POI. But what advantage is gained by a coach leaving to go to the bathroom? Or, maybe they got sick. Maybe they got a phone call where their spouse is now in labor and they need to get to the hospital? Can you imagine the hilarity that would ensue if you called a T on that coach?

Don't look too hard at this. If you find the coach up in the stands trying to get a better look at the opponent's offensive sets, that's one thing. But the box is not a jail, so don't go looking for trouble.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 09:06pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
]think about the intent of the coach's box
What is this strange thing that you speak of? A "coach's box"? I think it's a mythical being; like Dan_ref's hair or Jurassic's sense of humor.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Depends?
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 02:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
What is this strange thing that you speak of? A "coach's box"? I think it's a mythical being; like Dan_ref's hair or Jurassic's sense of humor.
Not only are you truly wise beyond your years, it's obvious that you also have a well-developed sense of humor.

When you put all that alongside the fact that you're a fervent Yankees fan, it must be said that you're a welcome new addition to this Forum.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart

My only question would be does your area require that an adult be present on the team bench at all times during the game and was there one there after the head coach left.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 06:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
My only question would be does your area require that an adult be present on the team bench at all times during the game and was there one there after the head coach left.
My only question is what would you do if there was a requirement for an adult to be on the bench and the coach was alone, and the coach then had to leave for a few minutes?
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
My only question is what would you do if there was a requirement for an adult to be on the bench and the coach was alone, and the coach then had to leave for a few minutes?
Temporarily suspend the game until the adult can return.