The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

What is the penalty, if any, if the home team takes the scorebook away from the table at halftime? NFHS rules state that the home (official) book "shall" remain at the table, but do not say what happens if it doesn't. Do you declare the other book the official book? Is it a technical foul (I don't see any specific rules support for that), or do you merely delay the second half while you confirm the book's accuracy, then continue. What rules support do you have for your answer?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
What is the penalty, if any, if the home team takes the scorebook away from the table at halftime? NFHS rules state that the home (official) book "shall" remain at the table, but do not say what happens if it doesn't. Do you declare the other book the official book? Is it a technical foul (I don't see any specific rules support for that), or do you merely delay the second half while you confirm the book's accuracy, then continue. What rules support do you have for your answer?
Not addressed in FED.

In NCAA, if it's "inadvertant" (the scorer did it on his / her own), and the book doesn't go to the locker room,then it's nothing.

If it's inadvertant and the book does go to the locker room, it's an indirect T.

If the coach does it, or requests it, it's a direct T.

(Note that the NCAA definitions of direct and indirect are different from the FED definitions)

Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 10:55pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
I encourage R's to make it a part of their game to check that the scorebook does not leave the table and to also mark off the half time score, possession arrow and confirm all fouls.

I have a line drawn, for each person, after the number that represents the number of fouls they have committed. I also do the same for team fouls. Our local associations have a spot to write down which team gets the 2nd half arrow. I double check this by putting my whistle in the pocket that represents a certain team when I face the benches. Also, I remember the score.

After all this, which takes about 45 seconds, if the book did happen to be moved, any changes will be noticed. Personally, once I leave the gym and head to the officials room, the book could be doing jumping jacks and I wouldn't know.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 12:35am
We don't rent pigs

I missed a question on the test once about this. "Coach A takes the official book to the locker room at halftime.
Ruling: Technical foul on Team A." I put true because I knew he wasn't supposed to take the book, and I just assumed that a T would be the penalty. Since there is no penalty specified, I now assume that it is the bookkeeper's
responsibility to guard the book with his/her life and not let it leave the table. So now if the book does leave the table, we have T on the coach, not for taking the book, but for assaulting the bookkeeper.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

I know the Federation does not specify any penalty with repect to Rule 2-11 where it states the offical book is to remain at the scorers table.

But, is it possible for us to apply Rule 10-4 Art. 1 in this situation. Especially since it states "...but is not limited to,..." I can really see us utilizing this if any attempt is being made to change the info in the book, ie. change # of fouls etc.

What do you think?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
I know the Federation does not specify any penalty with repect to Rule 2-11 where it states the offical book is to remain at the scorers table.

But, is it possible for us to apply Rule 10-4 Art. 1 in this situation. Especially since it states "...but is not limited to,..." I can really see us utilizing this if any attempt is being made to change the info in the book, ie. change # of fouls etc.

What do you think?

If a coach actually changes the book during halftime, he's getting AT LEAST a technical, and the state association is getting a nice letter about the situation.

More likely than not, coach is getting himself ejected for pulling BS like this.