The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Rough start tonight, girls varsity!

What else could we have done? 2 man game. Score 6-0 in favor of white.
After a couple minutes of play we have a held ball. i'm at trail and look at arrow and point and say blue ball, very big crowd and my partner must not of heard or seen me, so when he looks at the arrow the time keeper has already switched instead of waiting till it comes in like he should, and it's pointing to white now. so while blue is looking at coach wondering what play to run, and me not noticing(my fault) who my partner is giving the ball to, white is shooting a layup on the other end before i could blink. Blue coach is going nuts and is out on the floor wanting an explanation, so he asks for a time out and just starts going off! I know that is not a correctable error so i tried to explain to him it was a mistake and there is nothing we could do about it, well he continues to go off, while i was upset i let this happen because i was the R i was trying to let him vent, but from behind me came my partner and T'd him up and said we can't talk to him all night, let's play! Then i had to calm him down again. So we shot 2 T's, made them both, threw ball in and hit a three...wow, now it's 13-0, so that mistake turned into a 7 pt play! We finally made it thru the half and i let my more experienced partner have it at half time for calling the T in front of me! it was a 25 pt lead at half time, but they came back and cut it to 4 with 2 minutes to go, but still ended up losing by 8.... i guess the 7 pt play, didn't mean anything right, they would of still won by one...
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
I think you need to report this idiot to your assignor. I mean its not really your fault. Yeah you should have noticed but he should have checked with you. I have been trained before you put the ball at the throwers disposal 1. Look at the table ( for subs ect) 2. Look at your partner ( makes sure he is ready) 3. Put the ball in play. Doesnt look to much to be your fault.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Funny thing, the assignor was there! Said there wasn't much else that could of been done. Of course partner and assignor work together though, so he isn't going to say much to him. I just felt bad because if i would of noticed who stepped out to take the ball, i could of stopped the whole thing!
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Sign the book as J. Cluster F### from Camp Runamuck and drive the back roads going home.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps if you went to talk to your partner first, instead of talking to the coach you could have avoided some of the problems, like the T. Your partner at the time didn't know that the ball went to the wrong team. If he had been informed about what happened both of you could then deal with the coach on the same level.

in your description, from your partner's point of view (playing devil's advocate here) all he knows at the timeout is that the coach is going ballistic on you for some reason. Maybe he thinks he needs to step in and save you with the T - especially if he doesn't know what instigated the coach's behavior.

Bottom like is: communication is key - when something like that goes wrong it's more important to communicate with your partner first, then deal with coaches.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
Of course partner and assignor work together though, so he isn't going to say much to him.
Here's your problem right here. Your partner had no business putting the ball in play until he knew you were ready, and the assignor should have told him so at half-time. This problem was clearly not yours!! Could you have prevented it? Yea, maybe, but that doesn't mean you should take the blame. And then while you're trying to get the coach under control, P comes in and throws gas on the fire.

I don't think I'd work with that P again.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so while blue is looking at coach wondering what play to run, and me not noticing(my fault) who my partner is giving the ball to, white is shooting a layup on the other end before i could blink.
How did this happen? Did your partner put the ball in play when you were not even in position? What were you looking at when he put the ball in play? Was this prevalent during the whole game? Communication is so important.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Perhaps if you went to talk to your partner first, instead of talking to the coach you could have avoided some of the problems, like the T. Your partner at the time didn't know that the ball went to the wrong team. If he had been informed about what happened both of you could then deal with the coach on the same level.
As i said i was trail when this happened, so when white thru it in and went to shoot the layup i became lead opposite the table, so my partner was right in front of table and coach going bolistic. He is the one that gave the time out and talked to the table first and called me over, so while i was talking to the home book and got the situation he just stood there behind me, so he did know what was going on, then while i was talking to the coach, he came over my shoulder and blew his whistle in my ear and t'd him up!

And as for the other comments: what was i looking at when i should of been looking at who my partner was giving the ball? Well, to tell you the truth, i was being heckled by a bunch of my friends that i teach with, this was the first game of a tournament, and it was being held at my home school where i teach, so they were giving me a hard time, and i had to make a couple comments back at them in good fun, but look what it got me!
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Well at least you got that one out of your system with your first game. Nowhere to go but up from here!
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with others that it shouldn't have happened. Good communications between partners is esential for me, and that includes never putting a ball into play without making eye contact & getting an acknowledgement from my partner. That said, I sincerely hope someone ripped the time keeper a new one for causing the whole mess by not following proper procedure in changing the arrow.........
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
I sincerely hope someone ripped the time keeper a new one for causing the whole mess by not following proper procedure in changing the arrow.........
well like i said i was working at my home school, so i couldn't say to much to him, he is pretty tight with the big shots! But i did let him know when to change the arrow. He said his bad..
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 08:45pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
this was the first game of a tournament, and it was being held at my home school where i teach,
Why are you working a varsity game at the school where you are employed?!?!?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1

this was the first game of a tournament, and it was being held at my home school where i teach,

Why are you working a varsity game at the school where you are employed?!?!?
I'm pretty sure it could be kosher if the teams involved are not the host team.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

1. Don't officiate in a school where you are employed if your school is on the court. You cannot win!
2. If you officiate with that partner again don't do so without a GOOD PRE- GAME on how you are going to resume play AND EMPHASIZING TO LOOK AT EACH OTHER BEFORE PUTTING THE BALL IN PLAY ANYTIME.
3. Review the arrow procedure with the scorekeeper before the game, but do so in a positive way. Don't bring that play up.
4. See #1
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

1) You screwed up not staying focused with the game at hand. (Joking with the fans)

2) You screwed up by not pre-gaming to look at each other before every throw-in.

3) You screwed up by not paying attention to the person at the table reversing the arrow to early. (see #1)

4) You screwed up by not getting with your partner immediately after the mistake.

Question:

Why not screw up again and just make it right?

(Not saying I would ever do that...just asking hypothetically)
Richland, WA