The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Question

Her is the situation.Bases loaded and I'm on bases in the third slot and a girl hits a bloop to left with one out.The girl at third does the right thing and races home but the girl at second freezes on second base.Now the defense does good they throw to third and get the force but the runner from first is nearing second so our runner at second who is out takes off towards third and the defense gets her in a rundown.My question is was I right to continue to yell the runner is out or should I keep my mouth shut?
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

You were right to make it very clear to all that this runner was put out. If you're sure that the runner knew she had been put out, you'd also be right in giving a team warning on unsportsmanlike conduct. I see this as different than a batter thinking there was a dropped 3rd strike and running to 1B - the play is behind the batter but right in front of the runner in your play.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Yep, I agree. You should yell out very loudly something like, "THAT RUNNER IS ALREADY OUT!" Hopefully the defense will get the message. You could also rule this as interference if you think her actions prevented the defense from getting another out. If this is the case, you would call the runner on third out and nullify the run.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2001, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Sam,

Speaking ASA. You could only do that if the runner from third had not yet crossed the plate at the time the interference occured. If I read this thread correctly, the runner from third was off with the hit and probably scored prior to the ball being thrown to 3B and then getting the other runner in a run-down. Remember, it is not interference until the throw heading toward 2B is caught and then they start playing on the runner who has already been put-out. You cannot just assume the throw toward 2B was to get the girl in a rundown as there was an active runner going into 2B. That would obviously mean that the defense was not confused, therefore, no interference.

If the runner from 3B did indeed score prior to the interference, the runner closest to home is now the girl arriving at 2B and she would be declared out by rule.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Good point, Mike. Of course you are correct, even in FED rules, if the runner scores prior to the interference, the run would count. I was being a little too harsh with my penalty.