The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I got the call last evening. I have to fill in at the LJ position. This is my second year. I've done probably 12-13 subvarsity games so far, but primarialy as a BJ/Umpire (three man mechanics). This will be my first time on the line. I'm reviewing the Federations Officals Manual on what I need to do, btu do any of y'all LJ's have any bits of wisdom?

Thanks, Jim
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 09:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Wear headphones to drown out the coaches on your sidelines

No, seriously, here are some quick tips, assuming 5-man:

(0) SEE THE BALL. Have a slow whistle. At the goal line, there is no rush to signal a TD. Make sure the ball carrier has possession of the ball when the ball breaks the plane of the goal line. An IW is not something you want in your first game. Well, I don't want one in any game.

(1) Don't stop the clock unless you are CERTAIN the line-to-gain is reached. If you want the referee to take a look, tell him but keep the clock running. Give a good spot for your umpire, but don't stop officiating on plays going out of bounds -- cheap shots happen on Friday nights, too.

(2) Count the defense on every play and signal with your back judge. Always know that there are 11 B players.

(3) Work out your signals for letting the other wing know if the player on your end is an end or back. Make sure there are 7 on the line.

(4) Remember that you have secondary punt coverage and that you will release on the snap (unless your area does something different).

(5) You have coverage of your upright on scoring kicks, but be ready to cover your sideline if there is a fake as there is nobody else over there.

(6) Don't forget to make sure that rules regarding authorized conferences are being followed. Be diligent on your sideline. Help get the team out of timeouts.

(7) Remember that you have the receivers on a free kick. Be aware of first touching rules and requirements in case there's an onside kick in your game. If such a situation happens, remember to have a bag in your hand to mark a spot.

There are hundreds of tips we can give you, but you will only ever get one first varsity game. So remember to have a good time. Week 5 for us -- the season is half over.

Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Sep 26th, 2003 at 10:01 AM]
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

varsity games

This is my second year and I have done 3 varsity games so far this year. They are much more high paced than JV games. I am also a LJ. Don't get over anxious, let the players play. Always try to get a number on a penalty for the coach. Don't let the coach know that you are new or he will eat you alive. It doesn't seem like coaches understand that officials have to start somewhere and there are always going to be guys doing their first varsity games. Most think their game is the most important game and they should have experienced officials.

Stay focused, bury the flag deep and you should have a good game.

Good luck !!!
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 10:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Ooooh, this is a good one.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS take the time to get a number when you throw a flag. Whether or not you have a righteous flag, most to all credibility is lost when you have to tell a coach that you didn't have a number.

It's important to keep officiating after you throw a flag, but take the time and see the person fouling and put that number in your memory bank. Someone WILL ask if you don't volunteer the info.

Rich
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

The best advice I have for a first game...Don't get fancy.. a white hat I work with has this to say before every game.. Look for nothing and see the obvious, hustle and be deliberate... after you digest it, it sums up what to do pretty well...good luck and have fun.... Like Rich said you only get one "first" varsity game, so enjoy it..you will also find the higher levels you go the easier the games are to work because mistakes and penalties stick out much more than at a 7th grade c squad game where just getting 11 on the field let alone 7 on the line is a chore
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Don't let your first varsity game hit you like a train.

In my first one, I was really intimidated by the coach on my sideline. I was so nervous about screwing up that I let myself get bullied a little bit, when all along I probably (*cough* definitely) knew the rules better than he did.

Remember that you control the game, and that you'll have to assert your authority strongly and consistently. When you step on the field, remind yourself that you're now in charge, and everyone has to answer to you, not the other way around.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I am a second year guy, but I am on my second full season of varsity (nine games last year, half way through 11 this year). Here are the things that have saved my rear end thus far in my short career (in order of importance):

-Walk onto the field with confidence. Act like you belong there, not like a new official.
-The game is going to be faster and, in most cases, cleaner than what you are used to seeing.
-Be strong on your whistle and sell the calls.
-Don't ever show weakness to a coach, it is like blood in the water with sharks.
-Stay away from K-Mart calls. Remember advantage/disadvantage and stay away from the cheap stuff
-OPI/DPI are big calls for the wings and BJ and are ALWAYS going to cause contraversy. Know the rules and how to enforce.
-Have fun and stay loose. Remember, pressure is a privledge and you have earned the right to be on that field.

Let us know how it goes.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Don't ball watch - especially near the goalline. Sometimes you can get zoned in on seeing the ball cross that you lose sight of all the action around the ball e.g. holds, blocks in the back etc.

Oh, and don't mess up. Everybody is watching.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

my first varsity game as LJ . 1st series . a quick pass to the flat on my side. Offense and defense players going up for the ball. I was sure it was intercepted but defenders back was toward me and the BJ had a better view. I made eye contact with the BJ and was suprised to see him awaiting my signal. Since I didn't see the ball I made no signal. no whistle . BJ called completed pass for offense. Defensive coach starts screaming at me that it was an interception. I hustled to the LOS smiling to myself. Preparation pays off.
My advice - if you don't see the ball don't blow the whistle.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2003, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Well it went pretty well. I will never forget it though. The game had to called on account of some nasty weather blowing through the mid-west friday night. It went really well. I might have missed a DPI call. The home team had a pretty good reciever. There were a couple of pass plays earlier in the game where there was no question in my mind that there was no PI. The DB on a play just before we called the game, made some contact that might have been DPI. I though for a second and looked up at the BJ. He looked at me and shook his head "no". He had a slightly better angle than I, so I kept it in my pocket. Needles to say the coaches were all over me on that one (fortunately, the storm blew in shortly after that).

The most disconcering this isn't the coaches riding you but the constant comments liek, theres a face mask or look at that hold. It makes you doubt if you really are seeing all the action or if your focusing too much on the ball carrier.

All in all a very fun time. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Jim
Old Mon Sep 29, 2003, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

They are always going to make comments to you like that. You just need to pay attention to what's in front of you and not worry about what's behind you. My first few games I was listening to them too much and doing just like you said, wondering if I was missing something. I went back and watched film and realized I was not missing those calls. That is one thing I recommend doing. Take a tape and give it to the coach and ask him to make you a copy of the game and send it to you. Just address an envelope and put postage on it and they are more than happy to do it for you.