Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 23, 2006, 09:35pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do the bounce, bounce, bounce, then two handed toss.

This usually keeps the players off guard and I rarely see any jumpers come close to stealing the tip.

Peace
This is probably the best method even though most wouldn't like it. Most other methods are easier to time. Danny Crawford and (heaven help me) Steve Ulmer are the only guys I see that really use one hand without dipping down. Going up straight off the bounce eliminates this because most jumpers don't expect it.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 01:24am
Courageous When Prudent

I don't bounce the ball. I walk in the circle with the ball in my right hand. I tell the players I'm going straight up and then push the ball up underhand with a release point above my head. I'm 6'5", so the combination of my height and talking to the jumpers as I enter the circle doesn't afford the jumpers an opportunity to steal the tap. In fact a couple times a season my toss gets called back b/c jumpers will mis-time their jumps and/or miscalculate the height of the toss and both will miss the ball.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
This is probably the best method even though most wouldn't like it. Most other methods are easier to time. Danny Crawford and (heaven help me) Steve Ulmer are the only guys I see that really use one hand without dipping down. Going up straight off the bounce eliminates this because most jumpers don't expect it.
I used to do the one-hand underhand toss but I was really inaccurate and inconsistent...just all over the place. I saw someone on TV a couple years ago (don't remember who or even if college or pros) who stepped into the circle with the ball in his left hand (off to his left a little) and swept it up and center in one motion. As the ball came center he pushed it straight up (i.e., tossed it) with his right hand. I know, I know, it sounds complicated and dorky, but I tried it my next game, it worked great and I've been doing it ever since. I'm in a rhythm, don't dip with either hand or body, consistently toss the ball straight, and I'm more able to avoid the jumpers (being already in motion vice standing still). Works for me.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Flip the half-dollar in the air, ask "Heads or Tails?", catch it, flip it on the back of the wrist, announce the result. Oh, wait, this isn't Iowa?
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 12:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Flip the half-dollar in the air, ask "Heads or Tails?", catch it, flip it on the back of the wrist, announce the result. Oh, wait, this isn't Iowa?
Hey, it was only the girls; and they stopped last year.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 12:42pm

One hand underhand. The only thing I think about is, after releasing the ball, to throw my fingers straight up in the air after it. I think it helps me anyway to get the ball to go straight up. I also put the ball slightly on my finger tips so the ball goes up dead with a minimum of spin.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 01:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't know, there's something to be said for adding some English to the ball; just to see if you can affect the tip.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 04:31pm

I prerfer the one hand toss. I am still trying to perfect it as I don't think it looks real good now. What I need to work on is not dipping my body down b4 the toss. If you have the players too close to you and each other, you are subject to get an elbow or something like this on the way up. Make sure you push them back apart from each other, men's only.

I don't understand why you referee's are trying to trick the players b4 you toss it up. That's ridiculous to me. If you throw the toss up faster and harder that won't happen. Too high is okay, simply retoss and not as high, but too low is a problem.

What I have notice with the two handed toss and the quick toss is though it looks really good when done correctly, more often than not, the toss does not go up high enough. These tosses penalize a certain style of jumper who is doing it correctly, expecting the toss to go up higher. He now has to get to it quicker. This style creates the vary problem we are trying to avoid, in my opinion, and that's to get to it quicker instead of get to it at it's climax.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 05:16pm
M.A.S.H.

I do the one hand overhead and push. Works for me.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I go behind the back. It adds more flair.
Bounce it off the top of your head .... Soccer style.

(Make SURE whistle is o-o Mouth)
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

One handed toss, over the head.

People who use the two handed toss tell me they would prefer to cover their face from the jumpers' elbows. I'm more concerned about the jumper's knees/feet, so I use my other hand to cover something else.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 03:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
One handed toss, over the head.

People who use the two handed toss tell me they would prefer to cover their face from the jumpers' elbows. I'm more concerned about the jumper's knees/feet, so I use my other hand to cover something else.
Classy. I wondered where Junker picked that up.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
.....In fact a couple times a season my toss gets called back b/c jumpers will mis-time their jumps and/or miscalculate the height of the toss and both will miss the ball.
So why do these get called back...??? The jumpers can still tap the ball after they land...can't they...??? I know it looks bad...and not a good way to start. But should these really get called back? Just asking...
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 07:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If it's straight up and down, no need to call it back. If it bounces, then the jumpers can grab it legally. Might not look good, but it's legal and there's no reason to retoss this.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 08:19pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If it's straight up and down, no need to call it back. If it bounces, then the jumpers can grab it legally. Might not look good, but it's legal and there's no reason to retoss this.
You mean if it bounces untouched by either jumper? Check 6-3-6.
Closed Thread