Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Ball caused to go OOB

NCAA:

Quote:
Rule 7-2 A.R. 149
A1, while dribbling, touches B1, who is standing on a sideline.
RULING:
A1 is inbounds; however, when the ball in control of A1 touches B1, the ball is out of bounds and shall be awarded to Team A at a designated spot nearest to where the violation occurred.
This ruling seems to be different from the question. In the question I'm reading it as A1 touches B1 not the ball touches B1. The ruling seems to say the ball touches B1. Is this just a badly worded question?

I thought that if a player in control of the ball touches a player OOB that this is not an OOB violation. Is this a high school rule that I'm thinking of? Does it matter if it is A1 that initiates the contact with a player OOB?

This can't be the rule because B1 could just step OOB and touch A1 during a fast break.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
NCAA:

This ruling seems to be different from the question. In the question I'm reading it as A1 touches B1 not the ball touches B1. The ruling seems to say the ball touches B1. Is this just a badly worded question?

I thought that if a player in control of the ball touches a player OOB that this is not an OOB violation. Is this a high school rule that I'm thinking of? Does it matter if it is A1 that initiates the contact with a player OOB?

This can't be the rule because B1 could just step OOB and touch A1 during a fast break.
You're thinking too much. A1 is OK in the play if s/he touches B1. The violation is if B1, who is OOB's, touches the ball.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
You're thinking too much. A1 is OK in the play if s/he touches B1. The violation is if B1, who is OOB's, touches the ball.
Maybe I'm thinking too much but that is what I always do

I just think that they should re-word the question.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 03:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The question is fine. It says the ball, which is in possession of A1, touches B1 who is standing OOB. The ball touches the player, the player doesn't touch the player.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
The question is fine. It says the ball, which is in possession of A1, touches B1 who is standing OOB. The ball touches the player, the player doesn't touch the player.
Thanks Snaqwells,

I was thinking of other things when I read the question. It does say that A1 is inbounds . It then says what would happen if the ball touches B1. I need a drink