The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:26am
We don't rent pigs

Does everybody accept that the ref giving the wrong info is not the determining factor? In the thread about the game winning shot, rainmaker, I believe, said the shot would count whether the ref had said 1 & 1 or two shots.

Some seem to think the fact that "everybody went for the rebound," is very important. I don't see how since frequently not everybody goes for it. A2 has 3 fouls and doesn't want to pick up his 4th. (so why did he get on the line?) B1 is on the left side, the ball bounces off the right side, so he just stands there. A3 and B3 were talking to each other and not paying attention.
Whatever the reason, everybody going for the rebound is not in any way a given, and is certainly not mentioned in the rules.

So picture this: A1 lines up to shoot 2 shots. Administering official properly informs the players verbally and signals with 2 fingers. In spite of this, A1 misses the first shot and all players occupying lane spaces lunge for the rebound. B1 pulls it down. So in this case the only way to avoid a correctable error situation is to blow the whistle during the time between the ball hitting the rim and A1 securing control?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Does everybody accept that the ref giving the wrong info is not the determining factor? In the thread about the game winning shot, rainmaker, I believe, said the shot would count whether the ref had said 1 & 1 or two shots.

Some seem to think the fact that "everybody went for the rebound," is very important. I don't see how since frequently not everybody goes for it. A2 has 3 fouls and doesn't want to pick up his 4th. (so why did he get on the line?) B1 is on the left side, the ball bounces off the right side, so he just stands there. A3 and B3 were talking to each other and not paying attention.
Whatever the reason, everybody going for the rebound is not in any way a given, and is certainly not mentioned in the rules.

So picture this: A1 lines up to shoot 2 shots. Administering official properly informs the players verbally and signals with 2 fingers. In spite of this, A1 misses the first shot and all players occupying lane spaces lunge for the rebound. B1 pulls it down. So in this case the only way to avoid a correctable error situation is to blow the whistle during the time between the ball hitting the rim and A1 securing control?
If the players can't trust the ref to give them the proper information, then we lose all authority out there.

All players going for the rebound is relevant because the case book play says it is. The case book play is clear, it says it matters if all the players attempt the rebound. If B gets the rebound before the official blows it dead, it's a correctable error.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 12:27pm
We don't rent pigs

I saw this situation happen last week at a game I attended as a spectator.
Official signals 2 shots. Player misses the first. Everybody went for the rebound. Ball got tipped outside the lane, was on the floor, and.................
the buzzer sounded. Everybody stopped and looked at the table, where both guys were holding up 2 fingers. They shot the second free throw without further discussion or incident.

Lonesome Dove