The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Correctable error (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29385-correctable-error.html)

lukealex Fri Nov 10, 2006 09:59am

Correctable error

On the 10th foul by team B, A1 is shooting a non-shooting foul. I called the foul, told my partner two shots, but he either missed it, didn't hear, or forgot. Not real important.

Partner calls for a 1 and 1, A1 shoots first shot, misses, B1 rebounds. I blew my whistle immediately and called for a second shot. A1 shoots seconds, makes, B gets ball OOB.

My question is, since after the first shot the ball was live, should I have treated this as a correctable error, cleared the lane, then gave B the ball at POI?

Scrapper1 Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealex
Partner calls for a 1 and 1, A1 shoots first shot, misses, B1 rebounds. I blew my whistle immediately and called for a second shot.

I think as long as you blew the whistle immediately and didn't let play continue, this is not treated as a correctable error. Basically, (IMO) the ball became dead on the miss. The players didn't realize it, but you reminded them.

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think as long as you blew the whistle immediately and didn't let play continue, this is not treated as a correctable error. <font color = red> Basically, (IMO) the ball became dead on the miss.</font> The players didn't realize it, but you reminded them.

What rule made the ball become dead on the miss?:confused: The whistle was blown <b>after</b> B1 rebounded.

Junker Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:28am

I would handle it the same way as scrapper1, but by rule you might be right about point of interruption. I'd like to hear some of the people that interpret rules have a go at that one. Keep the good questions coming today. I'm finishing up my standardized testing at school and need something to do between my walks around the room. :D

tjones1 Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
I would handle it the same way as scrapper1, but by rule you might be right about point of interruption. I'd like to hear some of the people that interpret rules have a go at that one. Keep the good questions coming today. I'm finishing up my standardized testing at school and need something to do between my walks around the room. :D

Ohhh I remember those days! I always wondered what they did in between explaining the directions...now I know. :)

Anyways, I understand where scrapper is coming from, however, I think you have to clear the lane and let A1 shoot his/her second free throw then go POI. If coach B knew the rules, then you let A shoot the second and A got the rebound....oh boy, there'd be a hay day.

Rick Durkee Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What rule made the ball become dead on the miss?:confused: The whistle was blown <b>after</b> B1 rebounded.

Rule 6-7-2-a.

Scrapper1 Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:20am

Quote:

Rick beat me to it, but doesn't the ball become dead when it is to be followed by another FT? That's what the situation was here, right? 2 shot foul, except that the ref said the wrong thing. Ball becomes dead after the first FT. Luke's whistle just reminded everybody that the ball was already dead. No?

Rick Durkee Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:24am

Quote:

Rick beat me to it, but doesn't the ball become dead when it is to be followed by another FT? That's what the situation was here, right? 2 shot foul, except that the ref said the wrong thing. Ball becomes dead after the first FT. Luke's whistle just reminded everybody that the ball was already dead. No?

In addition, I think you can find some support for what he did in Case 8.6.1. I realize it is the "opposite" situation, but it's also a situation that is more problematic. Even in that case, he should blow the whistle and make the ball dead. I think it must be appropriate in his situation.

lukealex Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:25am

Quote:

I would think since my partner said 1 and 1, the ball wouldn't be dead after the first miss, therefor I should have administered the second free throw with the lane cleared.

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Durkee
Rule 6-7-2-a.

While that's one of my favorite all-time rules too, it isn't applicable to this situation. The Lead announced 1/1 and that's what B1 played to. A missed first FT on a 1/1 is live.

Don't forget that nothing was corrected yet until <b>after</b> B1 caught the rebound.

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Durkee
In addition, I think you can find some support for what he did in Case 8.6.1. I realize it is the "opposite" situation, but it's also a situation that is more problematic. Even in that case, he should blow the whistle and make the ball dead. I think it must be appropriate in his situation.

In addition, I think that case play isn't applicable either.

Scrapper1 Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:40am

Quote:

While that's one of my favorite all-time rules too, it isn't applicable to this situation. The Lead announced 1/1 and that's what B1 played to. A missed first FT on a 1/1 is live.

If I know the ball is dead, does it really matter what the rebounder thinks? :confused:

I agree that if we all have a brain cramp and think that the rebound is live, then we have a correctable error. But Luke "immediately" stopped play to remind them that the ball was dead. Doesn't that count for something?

just another ref Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:41am

Does the fact that the administering official announces 1 & 1 overshadow the fact that it really is 2 shots? Especially when the other official knows that it is 2 shots and acts accordingly?

Rick Durkee Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:41am

Quote:

In addition, I think that case play isn't applicable either.

Why would you completely discount the applicability of this play? The official announced an incorrect number of free throws. There was a rebound. The official then blew the play dead. I think it is reasonable to infer that this case could apply to this play.

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealex
I would think since my partner said 1 and 1, the ball wouldn't be dead after the first miss, therefor I should have administered the second free throw with the lane cleared.

1) What was the problem with this play?
ANSWER: There was a failure to award a merited free throw. Rule 2-10-1.

2) Can the failure to award the merited free throw be corrected.
ANSWER: Yes, if the error is caught no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has started. Rule 2-10-2.

3) Was the error caught in time to be correctable?
ANSWER:Yes.

4) How do you correct the error?
ANSWER: By using rule 2-10-6. You shoot the merited FT and then go to the POI to rectify the error.

5) What was the POI when the error was caught?
ANSWER: The POI was after B1 caught the missed first FT.