The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 10:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
That definitely explains the reason this conversation went the way it did - people not reading posts, understanding them, and replying in an intelligent manner. At no time have I ever advocated this. However, apparently that is what you think occasionally reaching out into areas the mechanics-gods have defined as off limits (or the basketball will explode, mass chaos everywhere, end-of-the-world stuff will happen) means - call everything everywhere.
David, it is not about people not reading your posts. They just do not agree with your point of view. I think people do have the right to disagree with you.

Quote:
I think I'm done with this thread.
That might be a good idea.

Quote:
The board in general is very useful for clearing things up. However, when people make decisions based simply on "that is the way we do things", I have a bit of a problem with that. I have with everything I have done, including several emergency service volunteer jobs I have been involved in for close to 20 years, teaching, and several other things. Just because it is the way it has always been done, doesn't make it right. Period. End of story. Thanks for the input.
The reality is you have not listened to anything others have said at all. I cannot speak for everyone, but I really do not care how long things have been done. All I know is the mechanics work. If you do not think they do, maybe this is the reason you are still working with the people you are. I do not it is a free country and you should do what you feel is best. No one here is going to work with you or hire you. You do things you want to and I wish you the best. But stop trying to tell us what we believe and why we believe what we do. No one has even claimed they are using mechanics because that is what we have done for years. Not every idea is a good one and not everyone has to accept your point of view because you spout it to the world. I do not care what they did 30 years ago. I just know that what we are doing right now works.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:02am
Huck Finn

Gimlet, are you born and raised in Indiana. I'm a Hoosier, born in Richmond.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Gimlet, are you born and raised in Indiana. I'm a Hoosier, born in Richmond.
Homegrown Hoosier born, raised, & raising my family in the GREAT city of Richmond, IN.

Do you still live in Richmond? Should I know you?
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And that is the statement made by anyone who is used to a system and refuses to look at possible changes to it for whatever reason.

Just because it is the way we've always done it doesn't make it the right way to do it or the best way to do it or the only way to do it.

I'm not advocating major changes - I'm saying we need to be willing to call (and accept calls) from partners that are outside their arbitrarily defined area of responsibility. As I said, if the mechanics were so important to the integrity of the game, they would include them in the rules, and say "This official has the right to call anything in their area, and nothing outside their area". They define everything else very exactly in the rules, and if it is THAT important, maybe it should be in there. Or maybe, because it isn't that important, or because they feel officials should have the right to call anything anywhere (and I'm not saying you should all the time...but the option is there if necessary), that is what the rules say. Seriously - if it is THAT important that you stay only in your area, have them put it in the rules. Then no one would call outside their area because they're not allowed to.

And don't come back with "Go ahead and call stuff everywhere, see what happens" - that is just a silly response.

I'm curious as to what the outcome of ONE game where no one called outside their area has to do with this discussion?
Funny, where I come from, every year we get a rules book and a copy of THE OFFICIALS MANUAL so that whole "If it were so important it would be in the rules," BS just doesn't fly...for those of us capable of understanding, that means it is considered just as important as the rules.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 07:55pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Homegrown Hoosier born, raised, & raising my family in the GREAT city of Richmond, IN.

Do you still live in Richmond? Should I know you?
No, I haven't lived there for 18 years. I would be surprised if you didn't know someone in my family. What year did you graduate from high school? Send me an email.