The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I'd appreciate having your suggestions regarding any and all situations which you think are not covered in the Fed Rules Book / Casebook.

An example, I believe, would be a player, having his or her dribble, going up off of two feet, contacting the underside of the rim, and, without losing control of the ball, returning to the court.

The foregoing can be seen, again, I believe, as either a try, in which case the shotclock would be reset and return to the court would be legal, or not-a-try, in which case return to the court would be a travel. I am aware that - somewhere in the Rules Book or Casebook - it says that the ball may be prevented from release and a try still have taken place, but the 'preventor' is a player, not the rim . . .

While I would appreciate clarification regarding the example, at the moment I am more interested in identifying areas you feel are not addressed. TIA
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
I'd appreciate having your suggestions regarding any and all situations which you think are not covered in the Fed Rules Book / Casebook.

An example, I believe, would be a player, having his or her dribble, going up off of two feet, contacting the underside of the rim, and, without losing control of the ball, returning to the court.

The foregoing can be seen, again, I believe, as either a try, in which case the shotclock would be reset and return to the court would be legal, or not-a-try, in which case return to the court would be a travel. I am aware that - somewhere in the Rules Book or Casebook - it says that the ball may be prevented from release and a try still have taken place, but the 'preventor' is a player, not the rim . . .

While I would appreciate clarification regarding the example, at the moment I am more interested in identifying areas you feel are not addressed. TIA
Above is a TWP and is a waste of time. JMO
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

It's a what? Or I'm a what?

Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Re: It's a what? Or I'm a what?

Quote:
TWP Third World Play. A play so far fetched while possible will never happen. That's why it's not in the case book.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Never happen? Are you saying that you have never seen a player get too far under the basket and get checked by the rim on the way up.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 11:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
...a player, having his or her dribble, going up off of two feet, contacting the underside of the rim, and, without losing control of the ball, returning to the court.

assignmentmaker,
[4-41-4] The try ended when the try is certain to be unsuccessful. When the player landed the player has travelled by returning the pivot foot. (An opponent did not prevent the release [4.25.2].
The ball handler continued holding the ball and returned to the floor. [similar to 4.44.3 StiuationA(c) --> Ballhandler did it to self.]

So sure, reset the shot clock, but go the other way.
mick
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Looks right to me, Mick.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
...a player, having his or her dribble, going up off of two feet, contacting the underside of the rim, and, without losing control of the ball, returning to the court.

assignmentmaker,
[4-41-4] The try ended when the try is certain to be unsuccessful. When the player landed the player has travelled by returning the pivot foot. (An opponent did not prevent the release [4.25.2].
The ball handler continued holding the ball and returned to the floor. [similar to 4.44.3 StiuationA(c) --> Ballhandler did it to self.]

mick
Looks right to me, Mick. Meaning, under 4-41-3, the try begins with motion which habitually proceeds the release of the ball . . . I can't remember the details of the argument against this.

As for Third World Play, not really, in my experience. I've seen people stuffed by the rim - and, gulp, have arrived at the right conclusion by really just passing on it . . . saved by more-or-less common sense.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Re: Re: It's a what? Or I'm a what?

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
TWP Third World Play. A play so far fetched while possible will never happen. That's why it's not in the case book.
Never say never. Ive seen a person dunk and the ball hit them on the head and go right back out the basket from the bottom, back up through the nets. What is your call? Mine is BI.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: It's a what? Or I'm a what?

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
Quote:
Never say never. Ive seen a person dunk and the ball hit them on the head and go right back out the basket from the bottom, back up through the nets. What is your call? Mine is BI.
Whoa! I'm having a little trouble picturing that . . . but my rotgut gut call is it's a good basket - the ball became dead when it went through the basket, and if it happened to go back up through, without any intent to delay the game, it's . . . nothing.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Re: Re: Re: Re: It's a what? Or I'm a what?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Whoa! I'm having a little trouble picturing that . . . but my rotgut gut call is it's a good basket - the ball became dead when it went through the basket, and if it happened to go back up through, without any intent to delay the game, it's . . . nothing.

Well this happened right as the ball was in the middle of the nets, never check the nets out the bottom. His head was in the nets as well. You know how they show off.

[Edited by IREFU2 on Sep 29th, 2005 at 04:27 PM]
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Good God, sounds like

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well this happened right as the ball was in the middle of the nets, never check the nets out the bottom. His head was in the nets as well. You know how they show off.

Good God, if you put it that way, sounds like basket interference under 4-6-1: "... Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket."
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Mick, one further note . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

assignmentmaker,

mick
Re: getting stuffed by the rim, just to be mentally prepared, it's not unthinkable that a player could get stuffed by the bottom of the backboard - I think I've seen that, trying to come up from behind the plane of the backboard - and, in that case, no travel, but no shot clock reset, eh? Pray that the shot clock operator is on the case, or be very aware in this strange moment . . .
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: Good God, sounds like

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good God, if you put it that way, sounds like basket interference under 4-6-1: "... Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket."
Not according to the exception after 4-6.