The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt violation?

Another one I am not sure on but should be and appreciate getting straight:

A1 is in his backcourt and passes the ball to A2 in the front court who is covered by B1 . A2 cannot control the pass off his hands and it goes back in the backcourt where he retrieves it? Is this a backcourt violation? My uncertainty comes from the lack of team control by A in the frontcourt. However team control exists during passes so I think it would be a violation. Is this right??? Thanks for the feedback.

PS - How about if the pass hit off B1 and then A2 before going into the backcourt. I assume ruling would be the same.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

It is a violation. There is TEAM control during the entire play. What confused you is that A2 never had PLAYER control. However, that is not a requirement for a backcourt violation.

If the ball was first deflected by B1 and then went off A2's hands, it would still be a violation. The important thing to remember is which team is the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt.

Therefore, the reverse would not be a violation. (Off A2's hands then deflected away and into the backcourt by B1.)

PS There is a case book play for your situation:
9.9.1 SITUATION C: A1 is dribbling in his/her backcourt and throws a pass to the frontcourt. While standing in A's frontcourt: (a) A2 or (b) B3 touches the ball and deflects it back to A's backcourt. A2 recovers in the backcourt. RULING: In (a), it is a violation. The ball was in control of Team A, and a player from A was the last to touch the ball in frontcourt and a player of A was the first to touch it after it returned to the back court. In (b), legal play. A Team A player was not the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt. Team A is entitled to a new 10-second count.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 07:02pm.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 05:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vawils
Another one I am not sure on but should be and appreciate getting straight:

A1 is in his backcourt and passes the ball to A2 in the front court who is covered by B1 . A2 cannot control the pass off his hands and it goes back in the backcourt where he retrieves it? Is this a backcourt violation? My uncertainty comes from the lack of team control by A in the frontcourt. However team control exists during passes so I think it would be a violation. Is this right??? Thanks for the feedback.

PS - How about if the pass hit off B1 and then A2 before going into the backcourt. I assume ruling would be the same.
Team control was never lost by team A. Player control was lost, but that isn't really a relevant factor. What you have to ascertain is if the ball ever gained frontcourt status. If it hit A2 in the frontcourt, it did.

Rule 9-9-1 says "A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went into the backcourt".
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
But doesn't the ball not obtain frontcourt status until both feet of a player and the ball have moved it into the front court?
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
But doesn't the ball not obtain frontcourt status until both feet of a player and the ball have moved it into the front court?
That only applies to a player who is DRIBBLING the ball.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's only on when there's a dribbler bringing the ball across the division line, David.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
That's only on when there's a dribbler bringing the ball across the division line, David.
As I recall, the rule doesn't say dribbling - it says for the player to be considered to be in the frontcourt, they must have both feet and the ball in the frontcourt - I'll look it up when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't day "when dribbling the ball".
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

David, how long have you and I been posting on this board? Do you really think I'd be wrong about something like this?

4-4-6
During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 07:02pm.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
David, how long have you and I been posting on this board? Do you really think I'd be wrong about something like this?
Well, I'm asking - that's all - I don't remember anything in there that says "When dribbling" - and you can't presume something like that is in there - I'll look when I get home, which is in about 15 minutes...

BTW, can you email me a copy of that handheld rule book? That would come in great handy, me having a Treo 650 and all... Thanks in advance!
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I recall, the rule doesn't say dribbling - it says for the player to be considered to be in the frontcourt, they must have both feet and the ball in the frontcourt - I'll look it up when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't day "when dribbling the ball".
RULE 4, SECTION 4 BALL LOCATION, AT DISPOSAL

ART. 6 . . . During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

NV, dammit!!! Now cut that out!!!

Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Tony,
Twice in one thread!!! ... ... ...
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'll fix your a$$!