The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Lane spaces?

Did NFHS use to allow 8 players in the lane on foul shots? If so, when did they go down to only allowing 6 players in the lane spaces?

Thanks
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Yes, the NFHS did allow more than six to occupy the lane spaces. However, this rule was changes two or three years ago. It has been in place at least two years.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan
Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks
Fewer bodies in the lane means less chance for rough play during rebounding. That simple.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

2003-2004

The NFHS changed the rule for the 2003-2004 season.

Chuck is exactly right, but the comments that NFHS published to accompany the rule change adds just a little more, "...This change will help reduce the amount of rough play during free throws and may provide the defense a rebounding advantage (one that may have diminished with the return to the 'rim' restrictions). Fewer players on the lane should also make the free-throw situation easier to officiate."
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

NCAA is experimenting with moving them up the lane now like the women and i hope it makes it's way into NFHS too...this will move everyone away from the basket and pretty much guarantee a defensive rebound, especially since they can't move till it hits the rim! Will be a great addition!
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
NCAA is experimenting with moving them up the lane now like the women and i hope it makes it's way into NFHS too...
Last year, the FED completed a study on the number of rebounds credited to the offense and the defense during missed FTs. (If I recall correctly, it was done in Kentucky HS games.) As a result of that study, the rules committee basically said that it was satisfied with the balance of play during FT rebounding and would not consider any changes to FT positioning or restrictions again in the near future, unless some additional research showed the balance of play had shifted.

So. . . don't hold your breath.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

seems like when ncaa does something it always seems to trickle down in some aspect of the game! they have to change something, so they can sell new rule books every year!
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
seems like when ncaa does something it always seems to trickle down in some aspect of the game! they have to change something, so they can sell new rule books every year!
Not sure if they still do it, as they've actually started moving in the direction of fewer "adaptations," but Iowa girls started doing this when they first changed the rule on the number of players in the lane spaces. Of course, here in Colorado, it's all the same, boys and girls.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO this was a good rules change. It cleaned things up in the lane a lot and makes it easier to officiate.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2006, 02:28pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Last year, the FED completed a study on the number of rebounds credited to the offense and the defense during missed FTs. (If I recall correctly, it was done in Kentucky HS games.) As a result of that study, the rules committee basically said that it was satisfied with the balance of play during FT rebounding and would not consider any changes to FT positioning or restrictions again in the near future, unless some additional research showed the balance of play had shifted.

So. . . don't hold your breath.
These are the results I heard too.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of lane spaces, can you help a 2nd yr (long time baseball) guy out?

Had a trainer remind us newbies to make sure the players aren't touching any part of the colored boundaries between the lane spaces on free throws, but I see that all the time when I watch games on the tube.

So, are players allowed to have a foot on the line (front or side) as long as they don't go over the edge or not? If they are allowed to do that, then what's the point with the larger marking between the first two lane spaces?

Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
Had a trainer remind us newbies to make sure the players aren't touching any part of the colored boundaries between the lane spaces on free throws, but I see that all the time when I watch games on the tube.
The games on the tube are almost always NCAA or NBA. In both of those rulesets, it is legal for the player closest to the basket to stand on the neutral zone block. This is not legal in NFHS, however.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
Speaking of lane spaces, can you help a 2nd yr (long time baseball) guy out?

So, are players allowed to have a foot on the line (front or side) as long as they don't go over the edge or not? If they are allowed to do that, then what's the point with the larger marking between the first two lane spaces?

In NFHS rules, they are not allowed to touch the painted lane or spacer lines. That includes the "block". In college, they are allowed to stand on the block (I believe). That explains why you're seeing something different on TV than you are being told by your trainers.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks!! Still working on picking up little things like that. It is strange when you come from a sport that you are very comfortable with and cross over to one that you aren't nearly up to speed on. I get frustrated with myself for not knowing things like that, but I am certainly having fun!