The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Running O.O.B. Violation

This is a question on the Men's Basketball Rules Exam.

Quote:
A-1 and A-2 set a stationary screen on the end line. A-3, using the screen, steps out-of-bounds on his own volition, circles around, and returns to the court. A-3 is the first to touch the ball after returning to the court. The official rules this a violation. Is the official correct?
I know that this is a violation if the ball is live on the playing court per 9-4.1 but what if this is during a throw-in? The rule reads that no player is allowed out of bounds during a designated spot throw-in.

Quote:
Rule 9-4.1 A player who steps out of bounds under his/her own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has committed a violation.

Rule 9-5.2 No player other than the thrower-in shall:
a. Perform the throw-in or be out of bounds after a designated-spot
throw-in begins.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Good point. If it's during a designated spot throw-in, then it's a violation as soon as the player steps OOB to go around the screen. If the ball has inbound status, then it's a violation when the player is the first to touch the ball after returning inbounds.

The question doesn't say what kind of violation it is; only that it's a violation. So either way, I think the answer is that the official is correct.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
The question doesn't say what kind of violation it is; only that it's a violation. So either way, I think the answer is that the official is correct.
Chuck, your right that no matter what it is a violation. I started thinking of another scenario and forgot that the original question said A3 was the first to touch the ball. I was thinking if A3 was not the first to touch the ball then the answer would be different. It would be a violation if it was during a throw-in and not a violation if the ball is in the playing court.

Thanks