The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

running OOb violation

i only ref HS ball and know it is a violation to go oob intentionally esp to gain an advantage. I have called it on several occasions when a player will run oob the length of the baseline, come back in, accept a pass and shoot. Is the rule the same in college? If so, they are not calling it in the Memphis UCLA game today. Saw it about a half dozen times. On one sitch the UCLA guard, Hamuker (spell?), did it and came in and caught the pass in the corner but did not shoot. No calls??
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The NCAA rule is slightly different. In HS, it's a violation simply to go OOB of your own volition. In NCAA, it's a violation to go OOB of your own volition and then be the first to touch the ball inbounds. That's why it wasn't called in the Memphis game. I noticed the same thing, but there was never a case where the player came back inbounds and then received the pass.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
The NCAA rule is slightly different. In HS, it's a violation simply to go OOB of your own volition. In NCAA, it's a violation to go OOB of your own volition and then be the first to touch the ball inbounds. That's why it wasn't called in the Memphis game. I noticed the same thing, but there was never a case where the player came back inbounds and then received the pass.
Yes there was, Chuck. A UCLA player did exactly that. He ran OOB along the end line while the ball was up top and then came back in and received the pass from that teammate.

I mentioned it when it happened in the chatroom. I'll go check the video and come back and post the exact time in the game when it happened. It was late in the 2nd half.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Must've missed that one while out walking the dog. I hate having a dog.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

OK I went back and found it. It is VERY clear that this was a violation and it mattered as UCLA scored 2 pts on the possession.

With 3:29 remaining in the second half, #1 Jordan Farmar for UCLA runs OOB on the end line in front of Reggie Greenwood, who is the Lead tableside (Higgins is C opp and Lopes is T). While he runs OOB and his defender trails him, #21 Cedric Bozeman is holding the ball at the 28 ft line in front of Howland on the UCLA bench.
Farmar returns to the court in the corner and receives a pass directly from Bozeman. No other player touched the ball. At this time there is 21 seconds on the shot clock.
Farmar then dribbles out to the top of the key and then back in and hits a 2pt jumpshot with 9 seconds on the shot clock.
This was a clear violation of:

9-4-1 on BR-128
A.R. 13.
Team A sets a double screen for A1, who, in attempting to come across the freethrow lane, is legally obstructed by offensive and defensive players so that A1 leaves the playing court under the basket, circles around, returns to the playing court and then is the first to receive the ball. RULING: A violation has been committed by A1 for leaving the playing court and then becomes the first player to touch the ball upon return.

Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 03:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
You don't mean that, do you?

Dogs are like kids. If you're gonna have one, you gotta put some work into it.

Besides, your dog is cuter than you are. Bigger too. If it's a choice between you or the dog.......
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You don't mean that, do you?
Oh yeah. I hate having a dog. I like the dog. He's affectionate, playful, cute. But I hate living with him and being responsible for him. And paying for him. We're going on vacation next month and it's gonna cost $450 to kennel him for 2 weeks. I hate having a dog. If my daughter didn't love him so much, he'd be on a farm in Maine tomorrow.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 09:24am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Oh yeah. I hate having a dog. I like the dog. He's affectionate, playful, cute. But I hate living with him and being responsible for him. And paying for him. We're going on vacation next month and it's gonna cost $450 to kennel him for 2 weeks. I hate having a dog. If my daughter didn't love him so much, he'd be on a farm in Maine tomorrow.
We have a friend that comes to stay here when we are gone. Since we have TWO dogs, this alternative seems to be more attractive financially.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 09:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
One word. Compost.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 11:32am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
One word. Compost.
That's fine, but what I hate is when the neighbor's dogs pile it on.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 11:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
That's fine, but what I hate is when the neighbor's dogs pile it on.
You misunderstood. Mick was suggesting that Chuck turn his dog into compost. Doing that certainly takes care of the worry of caring for the dog.

Mick can be kind of a mean mother sometimes......
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 11:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You misunderstood. Mick was suggesting that Chuck turn his dog into compost. Doing that certainly takes care of the worry of caring for the dog.

Mick can be kind of a mean mother sometimes......
Good call, JR, although 26 Year Gap followed the spirit and intent of dog ownership much better than I.
mick
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 03:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Good call, JR, although 26 Year Gap followed the spirit and intent of dog ownership much better than I.
mick
One of mine is out barking at something right now. I am guessing that the squirrel is about 6 inches beyond the reach of the dog run. Yeah, THAT squirrel.