The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I have a question about ASA 8-2-E. The rule states that "in the judgement of the umpire, the runner interferes with the taking of the throw at 1st base". I have not called this if the throw doesn't hit the runner. What, if by the runner being there the throw is off line? Or, the catcher after fielding a bunt tries to throw it over the runner and it ends up in right field. Do we just tell our fielders to throw it at the runner to get the call? What kind of cues do you use to make the determination of interference?
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I would not call an out for interference on the grounds that the catcher had to throw over or around the runner. I would tell my fielders to play the ball normally and expect an interference call if they hit the runner with their throw. (Of course, that's asking a lot!)

Even if a runner is not hit by the throw, she can still interfere, for example, by blocking the vision of the fielder taking the throw or even by colliding with the fielder outside the lane.

I've had catchers simply not throw the ball at all and then look at me in frustration. But there certainly can't be interference without a throw. In fact, it should be a quality throw, which pretty much rules out wild ones.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

If the runner is legally in the lane and hit in the back with the ball, how can interference be called? I see no call. The player at 1B needs to stretch wide into fair territory and provide the catcher a target that would be away from the runner.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Yes,if the runner is hit with the throw while legally in the runner lane we have nothing.Ball is alive as long as it remains in play.Also,the key to having an interference call when outside the running lane,is interferring with the fielder receiving the throw,not an errant throw.

Jeff

Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
What, if by the runner being there the throw is off line? Or, the catcher after fielding a bunt tries to throw it over the runner and it ends up in right field.
As you stated, the rule says, "the runner interferes with the taking of the throw at 1st base." I've always been taught that it has to be a 'quality' throw, i.e. it is impossible for the runner to interfere with a fielder taking a throw if the throw would not have gotten there anyway. In some of the games I've called, it's kind of hard to be psychic and tell when the throws were wild because someone "distracted" them, or when they were wild because they were just wild.