The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 11:44pm
We don't rent pigs

test question

Took our test tonight. Feel like I did okay. Thanks to all here for the help. Having said all that, there was one question that passed me by:

Any player may address an official to request a time-out or permission to leave the court.

I don't get it. Time-out? sure; permission to leave the court? That one lost me totally. I followed the first rule of true/false test-taking: When you don't even know what the hell the question is talking about, put false.

Somebody help me out. I imagine this is some little obvious thing that I am overlooking.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 3 Players, Substitutes and Equipment
SECTION 1 TEAM, CAPTAIN
ART. 1 . . . Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain.
NOTE: A team must begin the game with five players, but if it has no substitutes to replace disqualified or injured players, it must continue with fewer than five. When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.
ART. 2 . . . The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essential information, if it is done in a courteous manner. Any player may address an official to request a time-out or permission to leave the court.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 11:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Rule 3 Players, Substitutes and Equipment
SECTION 1 TEAM, CAPTAIN
ART. 1 . . . Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain.
NOTE: A team must begin the game with five players, but if it has no substitutes to replace disqualified or injured players, it must continue with fewer than five. When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.
ART. 2 . . . The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essential information, if it is done in a courteous manner. Any player may address an official to request a time-out or permission to leave the court.
Okay, that answers the test question. Even thought I missed the question, thanks anyway. Now, can you give me an example of when a player would request permission to leave the court?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

He loses his contact lens, but the opponent has the ball, so can't request an uncharged TO.
He needs to barf and doesn't want to do so in front of everyone on the court.
He is bleeding during play and trying not to make a mess on the floor.
He immediately needs his inhaler for asthma and can't wait for a time-out because the opponent is on the fast break.

Remember that it is only a violation to leave the court for an unauthorized reason. The official can authorize a player to leave whenever necessary.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Okay, that answers the test question. Even thought I missed the question, thanks anyway. Now, can you give me an example of when a player would request permission to leave the court?
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 08:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Originally Posted by just another ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
I know this sounds like sour grapes, but my thought upon reading this rule was that it was overstating the obvious. Like a lot of others, it will be good to know for future reference, but I can't see most officials penalizing a player for leaving the court in Nevada's examples or similar extreme circumstances, whether they made a request or not.

Lonesome Dove