The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   test question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29199-test-question.html)

just another ref Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:44pm

test question

Took our test tonight. Feel like I did okay. Thanks to all here for the help. Having said all that, there was one question that passed me by:

Any player may address an official to request a time-out or permission to leave the court.

I don't get it. Time-out? sure; permission to leave the court? That one lost me totally. I followed the first rule of true/false test-taking: When you don't even know what the hell the question is talking about, put false.

Somebody help me out. I imagine this is some little obvious thing that I am overlooking.

Nevadaref Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:50pm

Rule 3 Players, Substitutes and Equipment
SECTION 1 TEAM, CAPTAIN
ART. 1 . . . Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain.
NOTE: A team must begin the game with five players, but if it has no substitutes to replace disqualified or injured players, it must continue with fewer than five. When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.
ART. 2 . . . The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essential information, if it is done in a courteous manner. Any player may address an official to request a time-out or permission to leave the court.

just another ref Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Rule 3 Players, Substitutes and Equipment
SECTION 1 TEAM, CAPTAIN
ART. 1 . . . Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain.
NOTE: A team must begin the game with five players, but if it has no substitutes to replace disqualified or injured players, it must continue with fewer than five. When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.
ART. 2 . . . The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essential information, if it is done in a courteous manner. Any player may address an official to request a time-out or permission to leave the court.

Okay, that answers the test question. Even thought I missed the question, thanks anyway.:) Now, can you give me an example of when a player would request permission to leave the court?

Nevadaref Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:08am

He loses his contact lens, but the opponent has the ball, so can't request an uncharged TO.
He needs to barf and doesn't want to do so in front of everyone on the court.
He is bleeding during play and trying not to make a mess on the floor.
He immediately needs his inhaler for asthma and can't wait for a time-out because the opponent is on the fast break.

Remember that it is only a violation to leave the court for an unauthorized reason. The official can authorize a player to leave whenever necessary.

refnrev Wed Nov 01, 2006 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref
Okay, that answers the test question. Even thought I missed the question, thanks anyway.:) Now, can you give me an example of when a player would request permission to leave the court?

just another ref Wed Nov 01, 2006 08:18pm

Originally Posted by just another ref
Okay, that answers the test question. Even thought I missed the question, thanks anyway. Now, can you give me an example of when a player would request permission to leave the court?

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev

I know this sounds like sour grapes, but my thought upon reading this rule was that it was overstating the obvious. Like a lot of others, it will be good to know for future reference, but I can't see most officials penalizing a player for leaving the court in Nevada's examples or similar extreme circumstances, whether they made a request or not.