The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:03pm
tpaul

Guys, Here in NJ we give a pre-test to see what officials are ready to become certified. Below is one question I had a few problems with. Tell me what you think?

---------------
A 1-10 @ B40. A3 runs a fly pattern down the right sideline. At the goal line he leaps for the ball grabs it and the first foot to return to the ground comes down in bounds. While he was in the air, one of his feet grazed the pylon, displacing it from its position. Ruling:

note: this is how it was worded (not by me).

-------------------
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Are you in SJ by any chance (Meetings at W. Deptford?)

To answer your question you technically have a foul for illegal participation during loose ball play. Enforce 15 yards from previous spot, replay the down.

Remember the pylon is out of bounds behind the goal line. See definitions 2.28.1.

Now if you are in SJ ask Cliff or Jim how they would enforce this. Most people would simply call this an incomplete pass. How ever you enforce it you CAN'T award a TD.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

The pylon is OOB.

If the player touches the ball while touching the pylon, he's OOB as well, and the catch is not good.

Hopefully, thye don't want you to call IP on this.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
South Jersey guys making the test this year?
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think you have illegal participation on this. The question says nothing about the receiver touching out of bounds before the catch. The way I read it, he caught the ball and then touched the pylon. It's simply incomplete, out of bounds.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 06:34pm
tpaul

It is crazy to say the first foot touches in bounds and the...while in the air it hits the pylon.

It doesn't even say the player caught it?

It could be IP also....

ljudge.....BTW I am in Central Jersey Chapter...........

Yes, the south is making the test this year. I teach the cadet class in CJ/ Raritan district

I just thought this question was alittle off the wall. I think test questions cover about 10% of what might happen...just a thought...LOL
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the question (for convenience)...

A 1-10 @ B40. A3 runs a fly pattern down the right sideline. At the goal line he leaps for the ball grabs it and the first foot to return to the ground comes down in bounds. While he was in the air, one of his feet grazed the pylon, displacing it from its position.

OK - it says the "first foot to return to the ground." BUT BEFORE that first foot returned to the ground his foot grazed the pylon which is out of bounds. Now by definition of OOB, he's out of bounds. And, an A player can't go out of bounds and return (when his foot touched the ground). So TECHNICALLY (letter of the law) he has committed IP so a test question should indicate IP, BUT that would be nuts to make that call. I would flag incomplete. Now, if his foot hit the pylon and he came 3 yards in the endzone and caught the ball you may have no choice but to call IP. That's just my take on it.

Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Oops. "flag" incomplete??? My bad. "Call incomplete"
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
It is crazy to say the first foot touches in bounds and the...while in the air it hits the pylon.

It doesn't even say the player caught it?

It could be IP also....

ljudge.....BTW I am in Central Jersey Chapter...........

Yes, the south is making the test this year. I teach the cadet class in CJ/ Raritan district

I just thought this question was alittle off the wall. I think test questions cover about 10% of what might happen...just a thought...LOL
The pylon is OOB. It's not a catch until the player establishes possession while in bounds. If he touches the pylon before touching in bounds the pass is incomplete.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge

OK - it says the "first foot to return to the ground." BUT BEFORE that first foot returned to the ground his foot grazed the pylon which is out of bounds. Now by definition of OOB, he's out of bounds. And, an A player can't go out of bounds and return (when his foot touched the ground). So TECHNICALLY (letter of the law) he has committed IP so a test question should indicate IP, BUT that would be nuts to make that call. I would flag incomplete. Now, if his foot hit the pylon and he came 3 yards in the endzone and caught the ball you may have no choice but to call IP. That's just my take on it.

LJ - I think you're reading too much into this. I don't see where it says he went OOB and then back in again. I see the play the same as a player who leaps up for the ball along the sideline, catches the ball, and lands first with his right foot OOB and then left foot In Bounds. No flag, just incomplete.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent point. I can certainly buy that. Just so I'm clear I posted I would call incomplete. But, last year (or 2 years ago) one of the reasons the rule was changed in the field markings section of the rules (to move the 2 hash pylons 2 yards off the end line) was to AVOID having the players committing IP by hitting the pylons, which by rule, makes the player OOB. When I first read the reason for the rule change I thought who the heck would call that any way. I believe the other reason they changed it was the BJ wouldn't trip over them covering the endline. But again, I would never call this play IP. In thinking back to why this rule was changed I said technically it's IP, perhaps I'm wrong. This is why I hate test questions like the one posed here.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

The question isn't specific. We have an ordering issue.

Two possiblities.

The first one is:
1. Jumps
2. Touch Pylon
3. Makes Catch
4. Lands Inbounds

This would be IP.

The second possiblity is
1. Jumps
2. Makes Catch
3. Touches Pylon
4. Lands Inbounds.
INC Pass

It has to be the first option, IP, why would they even mention that the player landed inbounds if he touched the pylon.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

If the receiver was touching the ball when his foot grazed the pylon, then the play is dead right then and there - you can't have illegal participation, because the play is already over. Incomplete pass.

If, on the other hand, the receiver touched the pylon, ceased touching the pylon, then caught the ball and came down inbounds (and that sequence had better be damn clear), you have to call illegal participation - otherwise it's a touchdown. Now, if the game is 42-0 in the fourth quarter and the losing team is on offense, then I conveniently didn't see the foot graze the pylon in the first place. But if the TD is relevant, then I have a flag.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
This is why I hate test questions like the one posed here.
I know it's a competition type thing, but the guys up here always complain about the test when they don't make it.

LJ - working any games this weekend?
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

When he caught the ball then touched the pylon the play is over NO IP ON THIS play.