The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question Do the game or not?

One of my first games this year is a boys freshman game. The problem is my son is going to be on the team. He does not live with me and I'm having trouble deciding on whether to do the game or email my assignor and bail. What do you guys think?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs_schuster
One of my first games this year is a boys freshman game. The problem is my son is going to be on the team. He does not live with me and I'm having trouble deciding on whether to do the game or email my assignor and bail. What do you guys think?
Don't do the game.

Tell your assignor your son is on the team and you don't want to take the game. He'll appreciate it.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

If you can have someone else do the game, it's better. I've had to do HS V soccer games when my son is playing because of being in areas where there were real shortages of refs and no one else was available. I've also done soccer games when my partners were fathers of members of the opposing team. If they can't play the game because they can't get someone else, I wouldn't let them lose the game. But having done it... be fully aware that it is awkward at best and it's not nearly as enjoyable as being able to watch and cheer for your kid's team. You have to totally change gears menatlly and work hard to keep your referee hat on and the father/fan hat off. And always know that no matter how well you do, and how fair you call it, someone always has doubts about your impartiality and your integrity.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 06:10pm
In Memoriam

No-brainer. Bail.

You're in a no-win situation if you do that game.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Don't put yourself in that position - there are plenty of other games for you to do. No one might know now, but someone, somewhere down the line will find out.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 06:59pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Watch the kid play, from the stands.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the info! I will call assignor tomorrow and reassign.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 07:47pm
Official & Member

Let me be the voice of experience...I did this once when my son was a 10 yr. old playing Rec ball. HUGE Mistake. To show the coaches I was unbiased, I was very tough on my son, who was one of the better players on the team. He sensed it...held back...and they lost the game. My wife in the stands sensed what I was doing too and I got an earful on the car ride home. Not to mention the grumbling she heard from other parents. Nobody won in that sitch. I haven't done it since...and our local assn. forces us to scratch teams where we have a child attending a school...even if they don't play a team sort.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 07:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Let me be the voice of experience...I did this once when my son was a 10 yr. old playing Rec ball. HUGE Mistake. To show the coaches I was unbiased, I was very tough on my son, who was one of the better players on the team. He sensed it...held back...and they lost the game. My wife in the stands sensed what I was doing too and I got an earful on the car ride home. Not to mention the grumbling she heard from other parents. Nobody won in that sitch. I haven't done it since...and our local assn. forces us to scratch teams where we have a child attending a school...even if they don't play a team sort.
...So close to my son's JV game. So close !
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

No way. Send it back. Most of the assignors in my area will not let you ref teams if you teach there, coach there, work there or have kids actively attending.

Dont do it.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs_schuster
thanks for the info! I will call assignor tomorrow and reassign.
Wise decision.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 07:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
and our local assn. forces us to scratch teams where we have a child attending a school...even if they don't play a team sort.
I wish our Assn did have that policy. However I took it upon myself to scratch myself from any boys' games involving my son's HS. He's a freshman and may not even make the team this year.

If my son were to be cut I don't want to give the coach a chance to say I'm trying to screw his team to get even.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 07:41am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
If my son were to be cut I don't want to give the coach a chance to say I'm trying to screw his team to get even.
...or worse...if he DOES make it, then you're there just to make calls in favor of his team...or you had an agreement with the coach..."My son makes it and I'll take care of the calls in your games". The kid will never have made it on his own merit in most onlookers minds.

I can't understand how any H.S level association would allow an official anywhere near a game involving their child.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Chris, do yourself a favor and most importantly your son, bail out. My daughter played HSV, for 4 years, I told my assignor and he didn't assign me any games in the conference at all. I was happy with that. I actually was a fanboy .. LOL
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...or worse...if he DOES make it, then you're there just to make calls in favor of his team...or you had an agreement with the coach..."My son makes it and I'll take care of the calls in your games". The kid will never have made it on his own merit in most onlookers minds.

I can't understand how any H.S level association would allow an official anywhere near a game involving their child.
There have been multiple ocassions when ref's on my board have had to turn back games b/c their children were playing at the school.

I don't understand it either.