Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
My success is not based on spelling. I have enough education for me to be a very successful executive in an engineering firm. Engineers are not known for how to write or spell. We engineer. I probably stooped to your childish level by even giving you as much information as I have..

Peace to you Good Sir.....
Lighten up VA. He was joshing you, and you got all prickly. He doesn't joke with people that he doesn't respect -- it was a compliment!
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
My success is not based on spelling. I have enough education for me to be a very successful executive in an engineering firm. Engineers are not known for how to write or spell. We engineer. I probably stooped to your childish level by even giving you as much information as I have..

P.S. Education by no means make you any better than me. or anyone else. What has your big education gotten you?

Peace to you Good Sir.....
I are a enjineer to. Langwich skills are very overated if yuo ask me, no reeson why an enjinere would ever need to komu cummu comun talk good.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 11:22am
Esteemed Participant

I aresn't an enjenier...eye be just a teechur, but eye thinks eye kan cumunikate real gud two...maibe REFVA kneeds two moov bak to that uther bord an stai ther...

Back to the original post: moving up, as Chuck said, will definitely improve your officiating ability...however, one point to consider is the difficulty (at times) moving back and forth between different philosophies of calling the game. Things that are "let go" in the NCAA game are supposed to be called in HS games consistently...I have never found it to be that big of a problem, but I know several close friends who stopped doing HS games because they couldn't - or wouldn't may be a better word - remember the distinctions between the two games!
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

REFVA -- even if you didnt mention you were an enjunir I could have figured that out by your lack of a sense of humor...cuz I thought the reference to Ron Jeremy was very poignant and funny.

Stagnet -- good one Chuck. This was an offshoot (mind the pun) of Dragnet, that wonderful po-leece drama.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Point well taken! Sorry for my actions..
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I have enough education for me to be a very successful executive in an engineering firm. Engineers are not known for how to write or spell. We engineer.
Whoa there, Tiny Tim, I disagree completely with that.

I worked in several different engineering disciplines over the years, including industrial, plant, design and process. Let me assure you that writing and spelling are as important to your job as anything else that might be involved, and usually more so. If you make a mistake in a contract proposal due to bad/wrong writing/spelling, it could cost your company thousands/millions of dollars. And your secretary sureasheck isn't always going to catch all of the missing nuances of your mistakes either.

Engineers are known to be as anal as hell when it comes to writing or spelling, as they relate to their job.

JMO obviously.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
He was joshing you, and you got all prickly.
No, that was Ron Jeremy.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
No, that was Ron Jeremy.
What happened to Mr Potato Head?
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I worked in several different engineering disciplines over the years, including industrial, plant, design and process. Let me assure you that writing and spelling are as important to your job as anything else that might be involved, and usually more so. If you make a mistake in a contract proposal due to bad/wrong writing/spelling, it could cost your company thousands/millions of dollars. And your secretary sureasheck isn't always going to catch all of the missing nuances of your mistakes either.

Engineers are known to be as anal as hell when it comes to writing or spelling, as they relate to their job.
You are correct, but we have tools available to us such as spell check, Thesaurus and other such tools. When we deliver contracts we have people double check and triple check. I come to this board to enhance my knowledge as a referee and should feel comfortable to express my thoughts; I should feel comfortable to post my thoughts and not get berated or corrected for my spelling. I want to learn and hopefully add to the posting.

I want to be part of the group and not be an outsider. I also would like to be corrected for refereeing abilities. I just want to feel comfortable to express without being judged. Some of posting at times doesn’t even make sense; you don't see me poking fun at them. IMO

I guess I need to be less serious.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1)You are correct, but we have tools available to us such as spell check, Thesaurus and other such tools. When we deliver contracts we have people double check and triple check.

2) I I just want to feel comfortable to express without being judged. Some of posting at times doesn’t even make sense; you don't see me poking fun at them. IMO. I guess I need to be less serious.
1) Yup, and that's exactly why I said writing and spelling sureasheck is important.

2) You weren't being judged. And a lot of us have poked fun at others here because of spelling/grammar mistakes. I've been on both ends of that one too. Nobody means anything by it, and nobody is really that serious about it either. If we can't have a little fun with each other, then who can we have fun with?

JMO.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are correct, but we have tools available to us such as spell check, Thesaurus and other such tools. When we deliver contracts we have people double check and triple check. I come to this board to enhance my knowledge as a referee and should feel comfortable to express my thoughts; I should feel comfortable to post my thoughts and not get berated or corrected for my spelling. I want to learn and hopefully add to the posting.

I want to be part of the group and not be an outsider. I also would like to be corrected for refereeing abilities. I just want to feel comfortable to express without being judged. Some of posting at times doesn’t even make sense; you don't see me poking fun at them. IMO

I guess I need to be less serious.
You're missing the point. You don't need to be serious all the time, you don't need to never be serious. You just need to know when to be serious and when not to. When Chuck made a comment about "stagnet" he wasn't insulting or judging you. He just thought that the incidental misspelling brought up a funny image in his mind, and he was sharing that. It had zero to do with your reffing. If you want to be a part of the in-group, you have to recognize when you're being included. Your apology for "your actions" is a good start. Now continue from there, by seeing the humor in the misspelling of stagnet, acknowledging that and moving on.

And by the way, I completely agree with what you said on the actual topic of this thread.

"I think everyone should always think that they can improve, otherwise you remain stagnant. " And I expect Chuck, Dan, JR, and everyone else on here would agree, too. Otherwise they'd have disagreed with the content, and not just joshed you about one little typo.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Understood, And Yes I didn't understand his comment and took it personally. Sorry to all.

I accept when I am tooottaaally wrong!
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Understood, And Yes I didn't understand his comment and took it personally. Sorry to all.

I accept when I am tooottaaally wrong!
Okay, well forget the whole "insider" thing, then, because we're all a bunch of #$%&*(*&%$# who can't handle it when we get corrected about anything. At least, according to a few coaches and several parents I could name....
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the opinions and humorous discourse.
I am not worried about the logistics. There are two NAIA conferences nearby and a junior college conference close by. The officials that I have worked with have suggested my name to the conference assignors. I guess it is time to pursue this at least for my improvement.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I forgot to ad that I am an engineer as well.