The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Opinions Sought (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29036-opinions-sought.html)

SperlingPE Mon Oct 23, 2006 07:16am

Opinions Sought

I have been officiating HS basketball for 16+ years. I have worked all classes, boys and girls, conference tournaments, and I am regularly assigned games during the district tournaments. I have also been to the state tournament as an alternate. I have worked with officials who have more experience than I at the HS level. The majority of these mroe experienced officials also work some form of college basketball (NAIA, D1, D2, D3, junior college, etc.) These officials are telling me to make the jump to college ball. One of their reasons is that it will improve my game at the HS level. What is the opinion of the officials here who still work both levels?

IREFU2 Mon Oct 23, 2006 07:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SperlingPE
I have been officiating HS basketball for 16+ years. I have worked all classes, boys and girls, conference tournaments, and I am regularly assigned games during the district tournaments. I have also been to the state tournament as an alternate. I have worked with officials who have more experience than I at the HS level. The majority of these mroe experienced officials also work some form of college basketball (NAIA, D1, D2, D3, junior college, etc.) These officials are telling me to make the jump to college ball. One of their reasons is that it will improve my game at the HS level. What is the opinion of the officials here who still work both levels?

I am currently a HS Official and I am trying to make that jump too. I have been to D1 camps the last several years and hopefully will go to Nike on next year. I am currenly doing some college scrimmages and trust me, it does help you in HS. I gave me a big boost in confidence as well as a better understand. You will see a major difference if you start moving towards the college level. Just beware that when you start moving in that direction, you will leave others behind and it may cause some to assume that you think you are better then those who choose not to move. Good luck and stay humble.

ChuckElias Mon Oct 23, 2006 08:15am

Officiating college ball will almost definitely help your officiating at the HS level. I'm very confident of that. But if that's your only reason for moving to the college level, I don't think it's worth it. There are other ways to improve your HS officiating. You can go to camps that are aimed at college officials. They will teach "college-level" techniques and philosophies that you might not hear otherwise. You can find a buddy who does work college ball and go to his/her games and ask LOTS of questions.

Working college ball is a MUCH bigger time commitment and usually involves a lot more travel than HS ball. (My longest drive for a college game is 3.5 hours. My longest drive for a HS game is 40 min.) Additionally, I'm required to be at the game site 1.5 hours before tip-off. So if I have to drive 3 hours to Vermont, that's 6 hours of driving time, plus 1.5 of sitting at the game site, plus 2 hours for game and shower.

Plus you have to attend meetings for college ball which may not be very close to you. My pre-season meeting was a 2-hour drive each way this year, and the meeting itself was 3 hours. So your whole Sunday is shot. And since I couldn't make my "local" meeting this year (due to a scheduling conflict), I had to go to an alternate meeting, which was 3+ hours away. This is all for a D3 schedule, BTW.

If this all fits into your lifestyle, and you feel excitement over "moving up", then absolutely go for it. I'm not trying to discourage you. And it will definitely help your HS game. But if you're only doing it to get to a state final, I don't personally think it's necessarily the best way to go. I would instead invest in some high-quality camps, spend 2 or 3 weeks over the summer to polish my game, and let my supervisors know about it.

On the other hand, if there's a Juco league in your area that doesn't require a lot of travel and time commitment, then that's something that would definitely be worth looking into. There's nothing like that around me, but other areas of the country may do things differently. If so, that's what I would aim for.

Again, I would in no way try to discourage you if it's what you want to do. I just want to give you a picture of how things work around here so that you can have a little more info before making a decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.

ChuckElias Mon Oct 23, 2006 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
I have been to D1 camps the last several years and hopefully will go to Nike on next year.

I've heard that Nike and Adidas are getting out of the camp business. Have you heard differently?

M&M Guy Mon Oct 23, 2006 09:08am

SperlingPE - I absolutely agree with everything Chuck said.

And, he said it so eloquently, too.

Jimgolf Mon Oct 23, 2006 09:20am

I'm just glad to hear that after 16 years, you still think you need to improve and are willing to do what it takes to do so. Great attitude! Good luck.

REFVA Mon Oct 23, 2006 09:27am

I think everyone should always think that they can improve, otherwise you remain stagnet.

Good Attitude.

Good Luck.

ChuckElias Mon Oct 23, 2006 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFVA
otherwise you remain stagnet.

This is the version with Ron Jeremy instead of Jack Webb.

M&M Guy Mon Oct 23, 2006 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
This is the version with Ron Jeremy instead of Jack Webb.

Here I was, giving you props for being so eloquent, and on your very next post you come up with a Ron Jeremy reference.

I expect that from The Crustaceous One. ('Ol Crusty?)

Jay R Mon Oct 23, 2006 09:48am

I have been quietly moving up the college levels for the last few years and as Chuck said there are considerations such as time commitments that are important. However for me, the adrenaline that comes from the higher level of play makes up for the disadvantages. This season is my first at the CIS level which is the highest level for Canadian universities and so far it has been a great experience as we started this weekend with a pre-season tournament.

REFVA Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:10am

It was just a matter of time to come up with a wise remark. Of course we all don't walk around with the Webster in our back pocket. you do know that stunts your growth..

ChuckElias Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:12am

Quote:

Of course we all don't walk around with the Webster in our back pocket.

Of course not. Of course, some of us have an education and know how to spell "stagnant" without running to the dictionary. :shrug:

M&M Guy Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:17am

Quote:

Of course we all don't walk around with the Webster in our back pocket. you do know that stunts your growth..

Yep, I agree. It would also inhibit my social life if I walked around with him in my back pocket.
http://image.com.com/tv/images/proce...df/7e/7649.jpg

rainmaker Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Of course not. Of course, some of us have an education and know how to spell "stagnant" without running to the dictionary. :shrug:

I don't know Chuck. I think "carrying around a dictionary in your back pocket" is a pretty good excuse for being stunted. I've never heard a better one?:p

REFVA Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:20am

My success is not based on spelling. I have enough education for me to be a very successful executive in an engineering firm. Engineers are not known for how to write or spell. We engineer. I probably stooped to your childish level by even giving you as much information as I have..

P.S. Education by no means make you any better than me. or anyone else. What has your big education gotten you?

Peace to you Good Sir.....