The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Girls tourney championship game tonight, last year's 1A State runnerup vs. a pretty good 3A team.

I'm center, tableside, in front of 3A bench. Ball goes into 6'4" center in the low post and the lead rotates to my side. As he does, Amazon turns, lowers her shoulder, deosn't displace defender, shoots and gets fouled. 3A howler monkey and asst. howler jump up, go ape$hit, wanting a PC foul. I quickly point out to the asst. that he needs to maintain his composure, that we will allow the head howler some latutude but that he must remain seated and quiet. So, he got the benefit of a warning that I don't usually give to an asst. howler. Then head howler and I discuss the merits of then play.

Three trips down the floor later, I'm still at trail, tableside and the R calls a foul on a 3A player. Asst. howler loudly claps his hands together and yells, "That's terrible! Call it both ways!" He's mine. WHACK!

Lead reports, I report, lead is the most veteran official among and stays tableside trail, to quiet down head howler, while I go to center. Lead bounces ball to shooter when I hear "TWEET! WHACK!"

We had zero problems, comments, or issues after that.

I guess these guys, who I had never seen before, thought they could intimidate us into calling the game their way.

What did head howler say? My partner, who previously has called 3 technicals on coaches in the 5 years I've worked with him, asks the howler to sit down since he now has an indirect. His reply? "I'll think about it!!"

Get'em early and you'll have a better game!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

To paraphrase Mayor Daley - "T 'em early and often".
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Point well taken. "T em early" and appropriately. Had 2A game the other evening. 2nd time they had met this season (someone elses game). Visiting team had won at first meeting by 19. At home this time Home team coach wants to be the howler.... close game but hoem team coach wants more calls in his favor.... surprise.

T-ed him early in the 3rd. He acted like now that I had T-ed him that all restrictions were off and he could chase me around the court.... He wanted to talk with me... He refused to sit down. I ignored the problem for awhile as he stayed on the sideline.... coaching.... WRONG ANSWER should have booted him. He acted appropriately during the 4th quarter but he shouldn't have been there. Home team won by 7. Probaly wouldn't have happened had the coach not been there.

A "T" is punishment for actions previous to its issuance. Once a T is given does not mean the coach now has lattitude to drop all barriers and come discuss the game in the middle of the floor. The coach does NOT owe you some tongue lashing now. This is a penalty for actions he already made. Any obnoxious talk beyond what can be readily ignored is worthy of a 2nd T and ejection.

I hosed it up.

After the game, my partner and I stopped at a gas station for a quick drink. In comes the visiting (losing) team, Coaches came right up to use and said we did a very good job. I asked what we should do with a coach that just wouldn't calm down and abide with the rules he should be complying with...? "Just eject him. get him out of there." I responded that he was right. The home team coach was deserving of ejection. We often worry about the severity of our penalties (State rules require a 2nd game of disqualification). The opposing (well mannered) coaches worry about the lack of us imposing appropriate penalties.

The coach was right. I should have ejected him.

After our discussion, the coach put us in front of all his players lined up at the cash register and then bought our drinks.

It was a very nice thank-you.

If they refuse to act professionally, T 'em early and often.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes, it's just obvious that things are not going to get any better until something is done.

Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

After our discussion, the coach put us in front of all his players lined up at the cash register and then bought our drinks.
If this had been a college team, I'm sure the NCAA would consider this some kind of violation!
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
College officials probably wouldn't be at the 7-11 picking up a coke after the game either. I'd be willing to bet college coaches dont stop at 7-11s other than gas only. I'm just taking a stab in the dark on that one though. I'm still in rec ball and carry on many discussions with coaches the next morning in church. HAHA
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

3A howler monkey and asst. howler jump up, go ape$hit, wanting a PC foul. I quickly point out to the asst. that he needs to maintain his composure, that we will allow the head howler some latutude but that he must remain seated and quiet.
Here's a good line I heard one of my partners use in this exact situation. Still makes me laugh...

"I have to take that from Batman, but I'm not taking it from Robin. Sit down please."

Mregor
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor

"I have to take that from Batman, but I'm not taking it from Robin. Sit down please."

Mregor
THAT is funny!
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 09:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:

Mregor
THAT is funny!
Deserves it's own smilie...
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

JR

To the Looney tunes bin for you!

"Th..th.. tha...that's all folks!
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 11:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
To the Looney tunes bin for you!

"Th..th.. tha...that's all folks!
Willie,ol'buddy,I'm in good company there...
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Jurrasic: The comment someone made earlier is correct -- You have way too much free time. You should get a hobby, like officiating.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

3A howler monkey and asst. howler jump up, go ape$hit, wanting a PC foul. I quickly point out to the asst. that he needs to maintain his composure, that we will allow the head howler some latutude but that he must remain seated and quiet.
Here's a good line I heard one of my partners use in this exact situation. Still makes me laugh...

Mregor
I like it! Don't know if I'll use it but I like it!