The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16
intentional leaving the playing surface

Player A1, while dribbling, drives to the baseline and jumps toward the OOB area and before touching the floor, throws a pass behind the backboard, along the baseline to A2 in the opposite corner. A1 lands out of bounds and in a) returns immediately the playing area, or in b) remains out of bounds and runs the baseline toward the opposite corner. This is clearly a set play designed to deliver the ball to A2. Violation for intentionally leaving the playing surface?

Hardwood
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwood
Player A1, while dribbling, drives to the baseline and jumps toward the OOB area and before touching the floor, throws a pass behind the backboard, along the baseline to A2 in the opposite corner. A1 lands out of bounds and in a) returns immediately the playing area, or in b) remains out of bounds and runs the baseline toward the opposite corner. This is clearly a set play designed to deliver the ball to A2. Violation for intentionally leaving the playing surface?

Hardwood
If you call this a violation for intentionally leaving the playing surface, you have to call every attempt to save the ball from going out of bounds a violation. OK, not every one, but the ones where the player leaps out of bounds and tosses the ball back onto the court.

Situation B is a violation.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail
If you call this a violation for intentionally leaving the playing surface, you have to call every attempt to save the ball from going out of bounds a violation. OK, not every one, but the ones where the player leaps out of bounds and tosses the ball back onto the court.

Situation B is a violation.
Actually, I believe sitch b) is a T, for not returning to the court in a timely manner. I'm sure one of our esteemed (really old) members will be along to post the exact reference, since I don't have my books here.

I would not call the violation in a).
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwood
Player A1, while dribbling, drives to the baseline and jumps toward the OOB area and before touching the floor, throws a pass behind the backboard, along the baseline to A2 in the opposite corner. A1 lands out of bounds and in a) returns immediately the playing area, or in b) remains out of bounds and runs the baseline toward the opposite corner. This is clearly a set play designed to deliver the ball to A2. Violation for intentionally leaving the playing surface?

Hardwood
I would have to see the contents of the play in person. From what you describe in (a) it appears his/her momentum took them OOB play on situation. In b violation.
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 04:04pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I would have to see the contents of the play in person. From what you describe in (a) it appears his/her momentum took them OOB play on situation. In b violation.
You're right for (a) and wrong for (b). Delaying your return after being legally OOB is a technical foul, not a violation. NFHS rule 10-3-3.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
Rule 9-3 Penalty.
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You're right for (a) and wrong for (b). Delaying your return after being legally OOB is a technical foul, not a violation. NFHS rule 10-3-3.
Ok, I understood it from the perspective that the player momentum took them OOB and he/she took it as as opportunity to use it as an advantage. Thus, violation. 10-3-3. I interpret as a DS throw-in (legally) OOB and they delay the return upon completing the throw-in.
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 04:12pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Rule 9-3 Penalty.
Rule 9-3 refers to a player going OOB for an "unauthorized reason". Saving a ball is never an unauthorized reason.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Rule 9-3 refers to a player going OOB for an "unauthorized reason". Saving a ball is never an unauthorized reason.
It was not a save but a pass in the original post.
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 04:21pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
It was not a save but a pass in the original post.
So?

There's no rule stating that you can't legally go OOB to make a pass.

The difference is being legally or illegally OOB. Being legally OOB is nuthin'. Being illegally OOB is a violation.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
So?

There's no rule stating that you can't legally go OOB to make a pass.

The difference is being legally or illegally OOB. Being legally OOB is nuthin'. Being illegally OOB is a violation.
Ok, Got it!!
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
So?

There's no rule stating that you can't legally go OOB to make a pass.

The difference is being legally or illegally OOB. Being legally OOB is nuthin'. Being illegally OOB is a violation.
Believe me, I understand truerookie's and Hardwood's confusion, because I had difficulty grasping the difference between authorized and unauthorized at first. But try not to overthink this - in the original play, the pass was made while the player still had inbounds status, so that part is legal. The momentum carried them OOB, and that's also considered an authorized reason, as long as they then come back inbounds. A good example of an unauthorized reason would be purposely going OOB (not from momentum, but under control and on purpose) to avoid a screen set inbounds.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 05:09pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
- in the original play, the pass was made while the player still had inbounds status, so that part is legal. The momentum carried them OOB, and that's also considered an authorized reason, as long as they then come back inbounds.
That's the key right there. The player committed a legal act(pass,save,shot,etc.) while still having in-bounds status. Therefore--->legal play. His momentum then took him OOB, but he immediately returned in-bounds. Again---->legal play.

If the player didn't immediately return in-bounds, when able to, after being legally OOB as above----->technical foul.

If a player simply goes OOB to gain some kind of advantage(set an illegal screen, to avoid a screen, to get away from a defender, etc.)---->violation.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 359
Jurrassic Ref,

Did the rule change about 2-3 years ago, where before if you ran OOB to avoid screens, etc. it was a "T," but now only a violation?

What is the rule reference for that situation? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
so who here would call that T?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaving the court while playing defense bgtg19 Basketball 4 Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:35pm
Throwing to F3 playing behind R1. (OBR) Lapopez Baseball 12 Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:41pm
Playing shorthanded Duke Softball 3 Tue Mar 23, 2004 09:59am
Not playing by the rules A Pennsylvania Coach Basketball 22 Thu Jan 09, 2003 02:47pm
playing with 4 Nevadaref Basketball 11 Fri Nov 15, 2002 09:26am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1