The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

NFHS-
Entered into a fairly lengthy discussion last night at a clinic about playing shorthanded in NFHS.

I do not have rule books in front of me so I cannot quote exact rule numbers or language.

My fellow ump is quoting rule 4-???? FORFEIT which says something to the effect that a team can conitnue with 8 players. No mention of offensive players as is stated in the ASA rule book. He says if two players in the batting line up were hurt with no available legal subs that the team can continue calling an out each time the missing players come to bat. In effect you could get two outs in an inning because of this. He says if the team is using the DP/Flex then you still have 8 players on the field.

I say the intend of the rule is that a team can play one down in the batting line up. Once you go two down the game is over.

Comments on this......
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke
NFHS-My fellow ump is quoting rule 4-???? FORFEIT which says
NFHS Rule 4-3f & g
Quote:
A game shall be forfeited to the offended team by the umpire when a team:
f. cannot provide 9 players (F.P.)... to start the game and provide 8 players to finish the game.
g. A team shall be allowed to finish a game with 8 players (F.P.)... with an out being called in that spot of the batting order. If that player has safely reached base, then the most recent batter not on base is allowed to run for that player, until that player is put out, scores, or the half-inning ends.
Quote:
Originally posted by Duke
He says if two players in the batting line up were hurt with no available legal subs that the team can continue calling an out each time the missing players come to bat. In effect you could get two outs in an inning because of this. He says if the team is using the DP/Flex then you still have 8 players on the field.

I say the intend of the rule is that a team can play one down in the batting line up. Once you go two down the game is over.

Comments on this......
You are correct. Notice the singular references to the missing player in the lineup in the rule; your friend would require this to be plural. Just because NFHS hasn't cleaned up all of the places that DP/FLEX could cause confusion in the rules does not mean the rule has a different interp than before.

The shorthanded rule means 8 players in the batting order. The out is assessed at the at-bat. The whole rule is in the context of the offensive lineup.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Last year...

Team shorthanded... opposing team gave the other team a pitcher..

The pitcher cleaned up and won the game for the shorthanded team..

What does it mean?

I dont know but thought I would share it... It was an odd thing to watch their own pitcher take part in spanking their own team..
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
What does it mean?
It means a good time was had by all. They came to play ball, and they didn't let a little thing like being shorthanded get in the way.