The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

As promised I asked the question about the Bicep bands,? the answer was not allowed anything above the elbow, no questioned asked. I asked this question of the Virginia High school commissioner.

As for Dwayne Wade tights, Not allowed anything below the knee would not be allowed.

Again this came right out of the Virginia commissioner's mouth..
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 02:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is the interpretation in writing from the IHSA Rulings listed on each official's personal web page (not available to the public).

2) Are bicep bands legal equipment?

As was discussed at this year’s basketball rules interpretation meetings, wristbands can not be worn above the elbow. Officials should not allow players to wear a wristband above the elbow. Officials should also not allow players to wear bicep bands that are similar in nature to wristbands. ‘Bicep bands’ that are made of the same moisture-absorbing, nonabrasive material as wristbands are not allowed. Only those ‘bicep bands’ that are of a rubbery, ‘neoprene’ material are allowed.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

That is a sensible ruling. Thanks for sharing Rut.

I don't have the same thoughts on this issue, but I'm not in charge.

FWIW, (nearly zilch) I would have ruled that bicep bands are only legal for a medical reason with a written note from the doctor available at the game site.

Otherwise, we have to worry about the same issues with the bicep bands that the NFHS is trying to stamp out with the new regulations on the sweatbands. For example, do bicep bands have any color restrictions?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is the interpretation in writing from the IHSA Rulings listed on each official's personal web page (not available to the public).

As was discussed at this year’s basketball rules interpretation meetings, wristbands can not be worn above the elbow. Officials should not allow players to wear a wristband above the elbow. Officials should also not allow players to wear bicep bands that are similar in nature to wristbands. ‘Bicep bands’ that are made of the same moisture-absorbing, nonabrasive material as wristbands are not allowed. Only those ‘bicep bands’ that are of a rubbery, ‘neoprene’ material are allowed.

Peace
As stated before...in WA, if a player wants to wear a bicep band...he/she must tape it.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
FWIW, (nearly zilch) I would have ruled that bicep bands are only legal for a medical reason with a written note from the doctor available at the game site.
We were told that anything with the neoprene material should be considered "medical" and a note was not necessary. Kind of like the Allen Iverson sleeves that were shown in the PowerPoint or the S & I Rulebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Otherwise, we have to worry about the same issues with the bicep bands that the NFHS is trying to stamp out with the new regulations on the sweatbands. For example, do bicep bands have any color restrictions?
We were also told that the bicep bands did not fit the regulations of the sweatbands because they were not sweatbands. So they could be any color.

I wish they had put those two rulings in the interpretations, but they did not. But it was discussed at the IHSA Rules Meetings so many could hear. But I see these as what was said at one meeting might not have been said at another meeting.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 02:59pm
M.A.S.H.

That's for the post JRut. I didn't know they released a ruling already, so I'm sure not many people are aware. I'll be taking this to our meeting tonight.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
That's for the post JRut. I didn't know they released a ruling already, so I'm sure not many people are aware. I'll be taking this to our meeting tonight.
Be sure to point the attendees to the "rulings" page on the IHSA website / official's center.

There are a few more things there than the biceps band, and more is likely to be added later.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well we were given a ruling that the bicep bands are to be allowed to be worn above the elbow and on the bicep in football. The head clinician told us today that the bicep bands would be allowed in basketball for the same purpose that they were allowed in football. Bicep bands are made to be worn on the bicep which makes them legal. If they wear a wristband up on the bicep, the player would have to remove them.

Peace

Have they changed this, because out our rules interp meeting they said the same thing. Are the cloth ones illegal now? I made a kid move his up over his elbow last week.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

My rule book does not list biceps bands as being authorized equipment or apparel. Not on the list equals illegal to wear at any time.

If you now argue that it is a sweatband then it must be worn BELOW the elbow per 3-5-3c.

That said, the rules committee need to be less worried about being fashion police and more worried that UNNANNOUNCED RULES changes are being made under guise of editorial changes rather than going through the rules change process.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
So, if NIKE packages a 2" wide band made of moisture absorbing non-abrasive material with Biceps Bands printed plainly on the package you are going to tell the player it's not and NIKE doesn't know what is talking about?

And who said biceps bands could only be made of neoprene?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 11:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
So, if NIKE packages a 2" wide band made of moisture absorbing non-abrasive material with Biceps Bands printed plainly on the package you are going to tell the player it's not and NIKE doesn't know what is talking about?

And who said biceps bands could only be made of neoprene?
Why are you asking me? I am just passing along the literature that backs up the ruling we were given a month ago. I have no idea why this is even an issue in the first place. I wish the NF never made these things an issue at all. But they did and this was the ruling (why I have no idea either) was made. I am passing along the information because it is possible that other places may have a similar ruling.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 08:37am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
My rule book does not list biceps bands as being authorized equipment or apparel. Not on the list equals illegal to wear at any time.
Sneakers are illegal now, too?!?!?!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

We just had our rules interpretation meeting last night in Portland, OR. We were told for our association, we will allow the players to wear nothing on the arm above the elbow, unless it's for a specific medical purpose. The described bicep bands in this thread are illegal for our area. I was happy to hear that.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I was happy to hear that.
Why???????
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Because it makes it more black and white for me...less gray. I don't have to worry about what a bicep band is. If anything is worn above the elbow, I tell the kid to move it down below the elbow or don't play. Makes my job much easier.