The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 09:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rules Interpretation Meeting--Bicep Bands

I just came from the Rules Interpretation meeting. The issue that I was most concerned about was the usage of the bicep bands in basketball. Like football, basketball adopted the rule that disallowed the use of wrist bands to be put above the elbow. Well we were given a ruling that the bicep bands are to be allowed to be worn above the elbow and on the bicep in football. The head clinician told us today that the bicep bands would be allowed in basketball for the same purpose that they were allowed in football. Bicep bands are made to be worn on the bicep which makes them legal. If they wear a wristband up on the bicep, the player would have to remove them.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

What is a bicep band? How is one to differentiate between a bicep band and wrist band? Did the head interpreter give you the restriction for a bicep band? i.e no more than two inches in width yada, yada yada. Is there proof of this approval post on the Feds web site?
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 09:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
If your cat had kittens in the oven you wouldn't call them biscuits. Don't think I would want to try to differentiate between wrist bands above and 'bicep' bands. Since we are the fashion police of sorts, it seems that this 'loophole' approaches being a travesty. Of sorts.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 09:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Bicep bands tend to be a little thinner than a wrist band. Many companies make these bands and their intent it to be worn on the bicep and not the wrist. The rules only deal with wrist bands right now. They do not specifically address these bands that go above the elbow.

I am just passing along the information. I have no idea how the NF relates to this ruling. The football ruling came from someone on the NF Football Committee. I am going to assume that there was a similar discussion through the Basketball Committee. These kinds of rules tend to cross from one sport to another since all committee chairpersons meet with each other to apply rules consistently in various sports.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,
Which rules meeting did you go to?
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Rut,
Which rules meeting did you go to?
The very first one listed at St. Ignatius.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

If what you call a "bicep band" is a form of a sweatband, then I would have to disagree with the Illinois interpreter.

Page 26 of the 2006-07 NFHS Rules Book
3-5-3c
"Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow and may be a maximum of 4 inches (except for logo, see 3-6)."

That is what we will be following in Nevada.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
If what you call a "bicep band" is a form of a sweatband, then I would have to disagree with the Illinois interpreter.

Page 26 of the 2006-07 NFHS Rules Book
3-5-3c
"Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow and may be a maximum of 4 inches (except for logo, see 3-6)."

That is what we will be following in Nevada.
I am just passing along what we were told. Whether you (me or anyone for that matter) disagree or not is not the issue. The point is we were told specifically bicep bands were legal and the football ruling was also referenced. So there must have been a conversation with someone somewhere that would give this ruling. No one asked the question about this issue. This was apart of the comments from the Rules Interpreter.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
This is the specific ruling that the Illinois governing body issued for football. Nothing has been posted on the official web site for this in basketball in writing yet. The football ruling appeared a couple of weeks into the season.

"Since sweatbands (wristbands) are not to be in excess of three inches in length above the wrist, what about the forearm bands the players are wearing with their pads? Is this type of band considered legal?
Ruling The new forearm bands are made to be worn below the bicep and above the elbow and would be legal. It would not be acceptable to have a wristband above the elbow as they are made to be worn at the wrist. (September 11, 2006)"

BTW, you can't mix the two items up. It's pretty obvious when you see them that a sweatband for the wrist is not the same as a bicep band. Bicep bands tend to only be 1/2 inch wide, if that.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photo...img9723496.jpg

With any luck, this will come out and you can view the picture.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am just passing along what we were told. Whether you (me or anyone for that matter) disagree or not is not the issue. The point is we were told specifically bicep bands were legal and the football ruling was also referenced. So there must have been a conversation with someone somewhere that would give this ruling. No one asked the question about this issue. This was apart of the comments from the Rules Interpreter.
Very true, Rut, and you have to do what the people in charge of this in your state tell you to do.

As for the picture that falsecut provided:

In the opinion of this referee those are sweatbands and are not legal to be worn in that location (in MY state ).
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 07:16am
In Memoriam

How anybody could rule that bicep bands are anything but sweat bands, I'll never figure out.

http://loadedbases.stores.yahoo.net/nikebicepband.html

These meet all of the criteria of sweatbands in rule 3-5-3(a)-- i.e. soft, moisture-absorbing and non-abrasive. You also sureasheck couldn't legalize them imo by calling them some kinda brace or guard either- not unless they actually gave some kind of support or protection.

But.....if an individual state says that they're OK to wear, then that's the end of the story. Locally, same as Nevada, no way we're gonna allow 'em until somebody tells us that they're OK.

Is Illinois also gonna allow a piece of cloth to be tied around the bicep a la Rambo too?
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

If you go back to this link and select the various wristbands, head bands and bicep bands, they all vary in the width. The Bicep band is 3/4 of inch wide, where as the wrist and forearm bands are 2 1/2 inches and wider. That would be my distinction.. IMO,
P.S. I have my state meeting Monday night and will get a clarification and will let everyone know on Tuesday.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
If your cat had kittens in the oven you wouldn't call them biscuits.
I've gotta tell ya...I've NEVER heard that one before.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The issue that I was most concerned about was the usage of the bicep bands in basketball.
No disrespect intended, but really? That's a scary thought.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 06:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by falsecut
This is the specific ruling that the Illinois governing body issued for football. Nothing has been posted on the official web site for this in basketball in writing yet. The football ruling appeared a couple of weeks into the season.

"Since sweatbands (wristbands) are not to be in excess of three inches in length above the wrist, what about the forearm bands the players are wearing with their pads? Is this type of band considered legal?
Ruling The new forearm bands are made to be worn below the bicep and above the elbow and would be legal. It would not be acceptable to have a wristband above the elbow as they are made to be worn at the wrist. (September 11, 2006)"

BTW, you can't mix the two items up. It's pretty obvious when you see them that a sweatband for the wrist is not the same as a bicep band. Bicep bands tend to only be 1/2 inch wide, if that.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photo...img9723496.jpg

With any luck, this will come out and you can view the picture.
I always thought the forearm was the part between the elbow and the wrist.