The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Players are just getting out of control

I did a High School Boys game last night. My two partners and I threw a total 7 T's on one team. They just didn't get it. I blame the coach for not taking control of his team. The real coach was sitting in the stands observing and they had a wannabe coach at the helm. There has to be something we could do. do we report this to the AD or the state, We were totally baffled with the behavior.
Some guidance Please!

Last edited by REFVA; Thu Oct 12, 2006 at 07:08am.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I think you did what you needed to do. Handle it on the court. I'm guessing this was not a regular season game, and this stuff sometimes happens. The "real" coach was there and saw the behavior. So hopefully, s/he will clean it up for the regular season. If there was anything beyond normal "basketball" bad behavior (in other words, if there were threats or punches thrown), then I would report that to whoever assigned you the game. If it was general complaining/cursing kind of thing, I would say you did your job and let it go. JMO, obviously.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 08:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Seeing as high schools can't even practice until November 13th, this obviously had no sanctioning from the VHSL so there is nothing you can report to the state. Most you could do is give a report to your assignor and maybe he/she will speak to the coach of the affiliated school.

But as far as you're concerned, the only thing you can do is officiate their next game with a clean slate and respond accordingly if similar behavior occurs.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Did you say anything to the wannabe coach about controlling his players? Were any players ejected for getting two T's? I think I probably would have said something to the coach if you thought the players were getting out of hand.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you say anything to the wannabe coach about controlling his players? Were any players ejected for getting two T's? I think I probably would have said something to the coach if you thought the players were getting out of hand.
Yes we spoke to the coach when it occurred and at half time again and then it was addressed each time. Funny thing was that there 7 different players which means a couple of things, the ones we did give out those player learned to keep their mouth shut and play Ball. Secondly the other players seem to be a little slow in learning becuase we handed out 7 t's. The coach kept asking as he should have, "what did he do?" We explained each time in addition to the half time talk.

Also this was not a regular season game so you are correct it's not sanctioned by the State, this was a fall league High school. this where you get a mixture of Freshman/JV and Varsity players. Most ot the younger players don't get much playing time.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

A lot of this stems from lax summer league enforcement of sportsmanship rules. They'll probably clean it up for the regular season. Or you will, LOL.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
Yes we spoke to the coach when it occurred and at half time again and then it was addressed each time. Funny thing was that there 7 different players which means a couple of things, the ones we did give out those player learned to keep their mouth shut and play Ball. Secondly the other players seem to be a little slow in learning becuase we handed out 7 t's. The coach kept asking as he should have, "what did he do?" We explained each time in addition to the half time talk.
No way I would explain 7 times to "what did he do?". If your T's were valid the coach should have gotten the message after the first 2. By questioning you every time he's telling his team that you have a quick trigger.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Some people never learn

Coaches and players alike can be very slow at times and your situation is a great example. I certainly have encountered many situations where I turned to my partner and just said "Are they ever going to learn or are we going to have to call this all night long"

Your situation is very odd that is for sure but we could ask the same question about any other fouls occuring. I mean if we call a player 3 times in a row for let's say handchecking everytime somebody is about to beat him, WHY in the world does he do it again the 4th, 5th time.

Some people are very stubborn and they just simply do not agree with you and they don't wanna change. Biggest problem however I believe is inconsistency in calls between leagues and between games too. They were probably never called on it before and now that you are calling it they are thinking I am not gonna stop doing it because it's just this official and next game i'll be able to do it again and get away with it.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 12:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
Also this was not a regular season game so you are correct it's not sanctioned by the State, this was a fall league High school. this where you get a mixture of Freshman/JV and Varsity players. Most ot the younger players don't get much playing time.
Iow, it was basically a fall rec league game. Don't take it as being representative. The players that do make Varsity will usually clean themselves up in the regular season when the games mean something.

JMO, obviously.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

REFVA,
Just remember, the kids usually get better. The parents rarely do!