The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
JR,
The first statement is correct. The second one is not. As I read it, is states that you can only travel after dribbling the ball. Perhaps I am being more selective that you might, but I would have agreed with the following statements:

In this situation, only when the dribble ends (e.g. the ball comes to rest in the hand) is a travel possible.
Um, Sam....your red highlighted statement above is exactly, word-for-word what wanja actually wrote in his post. Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, that's why you're confusing the hell outa me.

Anyway....I agree with both of your and wanja's identical statements.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Um, Sam....your red highlighted statement above is exactly, word-for-word what wanja actually wrote in his post.
Guess you picked a bad week to give up sniffing glue. It's not the same as what wanja wrote, b/c wanja left out the qualifying phrase "in this situation". Wanja made it sound like it was only ever possible to travel after ending a dribble. And that just ain't so.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Guess you picked a bad week to give up sniffing glue. It's not the same as what wanja wrote, b/c wanja left out the qualifying phrase "in this situation". Wanja made it sound like it was only ever possible to travel after ending a dribble. And that just ain't so.
JR,
As Chuck's quote above reads, I added "In this situation" and "After starting a dribble" to wanja's statement. I agree with Chuck.

But I won't back Chuck 100% as there are other things you could be sniffing or drinking besides glue.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 02:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Geeze, are you trying to set a world's record for tiniest nits?

Wanja's previous sentence in his post explained the sequence he was using i.e. during dribble--->after dribble.That was his qualifier.

All we're doing now imo is probably just confusing the sh!t outa everybody....including me.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
JR,
But I won't back Chuck 100% as there are other things you could be sniffing or drinking besides glue.
Maybe this is his problem?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15144530/
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

Aw, that's not news. Wimmen have been doing that for years, thinking that it tightens their face and gets rid of wrinkles.

Personally, I think that it's just where some of them get their sh!tty outlook on life.

You don't learn these little gems of knowledge at no retreat, I tell ya!
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So, um, if it's applied with one foot in the frontcourt and one foot in the backcourt?...

Oops, wrong thread.

I think we need the O.P. to come back and better explain his/her scenario. I know (from personal experience) that sometimes what I want to describe and what actually gets typed are two different things. My take was they were asking if there's a restriction on the number of "steps" that can be taken while dribbling - which we all know there isn't.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
If you did this, you would violate, how ever it wouldn't have to be a travel.

If you took the ball between your hand and held it with both hands:
travle, you're dribbel has ended

If you hold the ball "in your hand" not resting it in your palm, I don't belive it really covers if this is an illegal dribble or palming but I'd call palming.

If you rest the ball in your hand while running like this: palming.

So you can dribble and you havn't travelled, but you have still commited a violation.
Actually, it is effectively a travel and a carry/palming at the same time. Palming can be viewed as the end of a dribble.

At one time, just a few years ago, the call of "Palming" was removed and we were given the option of travel or illegal dribble. No action was made legal or illegal by this change, just the name of it changed. The violation was either a travel (if the feet moved while the ball was being palmed) or an illegal dribble (if the feet didn't move and the ball was again dribbled).

Because fans/coaches were so accustomed to seeing the palming/carry signal, it was quite confusing to have a "carry" signaled with a traveling signal or illegal dribble signal. The NFHS restored the carry signal to more clearly indicate the call.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Aw, that's not news. Wimmen have been doing that for years, thinking that it tightens their face and gets rid of wrinkles.

Personally, I think that it's just where some of them get their sh!tty outlook on life.

You don't learn these little gems of knowledge at no retreat, I tell ya!
No dis-agreement here.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 02:33pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Funny story...after the birth of our third son, my wife had some serious hemi problems going on, so the doctor gave her some prescription ointment. She left it on the sink one day, and our oldest son, who was three at the time, thought it was the toothpaste...after calling the poison control center and making sure he was OK, we had a good laugh watching him poking and pulling on his cheeks because they were so numb...sigh - oh for the good old days!
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Funny story...after the birth of our third son, my wife had some serious hemi problems going on, so the doctor gave her some prescription ointment. She left it on the sink one day, and our oldest son, who was three at the time, thought it was the toothpaste...after calling the poison control center and making sure he was OK, we had a good laugh watching him poking and pulling on his cheeks because they were so numb...sigh - oh for the good old days!
Yeah, I can just see you, the kid & the grandkids all sitting around the Thanksgiving table..."hey little one, did ol' grandad ever tell you about the time your father ate a big gobb-full of Preparation H???!"

He's gonna love that!
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Not quite as funny as Preparation H, but. . .

My daughter once left a glue stick out after doing an artsy project. A member of my family found it and thought it was Chap Stick, applying it directly to the lips. This caused uncontrollable laughter from his wife, I mean, another family member.