The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA New Rule

Regarding the new NCAA rule not granting a timeout to an airborne player, I assume that we will still grant the TO if a player is falling out-of bounds but not airborne. One foot on the floor is sufficient?

Any comments?
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
Regarding the new NCAA rule not granting a timeout to an airborne player, I assume that we will still grant the TO if a player is falling out-of bounds but not airborne. One foot on the floor is sufficient?

Any comments?
The new rule specifically states airborne player - I can't imagine how that also means we can't grant a TO to a player who has 1 foot on the floor and is not airborne.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
The new rule specifically states airborne player - I can't imagine how that also means we can't grant a TO to a player who has 1 foot on the floor and is not airborne.
Someone, somewhere will do just that....and argue the merits of it based on bogus criteria.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

It is covered on the eofficials website. Under 2006 Clinic Presentation Rules and Points of Emphasis. If one foot is touching in bounds or in the front court and the player has control, you grant the timeout.

I do not like the change, but I'll do as they say. If we (officials) can't see if a player stepped on the out-of-bounds line or division line before obtaining control of the ball and requesting a timeout...I'm not sure we'll be any better at seeing if a foot (or toe of a shoe) is still in contact with the floor and the player has control while requesting a timeout. Obviously the player who is a foot in the air and yelling for timeout is easy (you don't grant it), but...I still don't like the change, since the reasoning is we were getting it wrong under the former rule.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

There will be some refinement of this one I believe. So if he/she is falling out of bounds with a foot in contact we grant the TO? Wait to see if he/she falls out of bounds? Kind of gray if you ask me. I think I will start off making sure they have control, one foot on the floor and go from there. I am sure there will be plenty of info at the NCAA meetings!
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Had an NCAA meeting yesterday where this was discusssed. We were told the following:

1) The rule applies to airborne players only. Thus, if a player has at least one foot on the ground, grant the TO. This covers the question of the "balancing act." As long as one foot is on the ground, grant the TO.

2) Player control of the ball is also required. One foot on the ground while not having control of the ball does not allow a TO to be warranted.

3) If the player is in the air and requests the TO, hold the whistle. If player lands legally (i.e. either in-bounds or in the frontcourt if it's a backcourt situation), grant the TO. If the player lands illegally (i.e. either OOB or in the backcourt), call the violation. Either way, the whistle should not be blown until the player lands on the floor.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
Had an NCAA meeting yesterday where this was discusssed. We were told the following:

1) The rule applies to airborne players only. Thus, if a player has at least one foot on the ground, grant the TO. This covers the question of the "balancing act." As long as one foot is on the ground, grant the TO.

2) Player control of the ball is also required. One foot on the ground while not having control of the ball does not allow a TO to be warranted.

3) If the player is in the air and requests the TO, hold the whistle. If player lands legally (i.e. either in-bounds or in the frontcourt if it's a backcourt situation), grant the TO. If the player lands illegally (i.e. either OOB or in the backcourt), call the violation. Either way, the whistle should not be blown until the player lands on the floor.
That is good to know and well written and explained. Thanks.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

If the player lands out of bounds, I'd like to use the NFL mechanic when a receiver catches a ball out of bounds. Take both hands and sweep them across your body toward the direction of the sideline. I love it.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 11:14am
Do not give a damn!!

This situation was covered in the NCAA Men's Meeting in Chicago by Hank Nicholas and his staff. One foot on the floor should be allowed to be granted for a timeout. I also believe this was in the PowerPoint Presentation that they showed us. So if someone is not granting the timeout with one foot on the floor and a player falling out of bounds, then shame on them.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

We have our college rules meeting this weekend. I'm looking forward to hearing the interp on this one. I'll post if they say anything interesting that hasn't been disucussed so far.