The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Exclamation

These were recently announced. Not too many but some that are a step in the right direction:
http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_an...rules_rls.html
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

They are just recommendations to the Playing Rules Oversite Panel, but barring some major outcry should become law next season.

Honestly, while I'm all for making my games shorter, I don't like the running clock on change of possession.

There were a number of ideas on the survey the NCAA distributed to officials, I'd be interested to see the final results of that survey.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

The final results of the officials survey can be seen here:

http://www.zoomerang.com/reports/pub...D=L22HLZ9QYMP6

Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

We often start the clock on change of possessions in sub-varsity in Texas (NCAA). Unless its final two minutes or so of the half of a close game. Most coaches and certainly fans don't know the difference.

The impact of it is that it will force a team to take a timeout in order to keep a team ahead from running down the 25 second clock. A last two minute exception is hard to enforce and if 24 seconds really makes a difference at the START of a possession, the game is pretty much over as it is.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand why there's always talk of shortening the game. I honestly don't hear alot of people complaining about it. Personally, I enjoy being out there all the time and when the game is over it's a bummer to know it'll be another week before I can suit up again. Also, what's the point of the HL and L changing sides after each half? What does that benefit?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schmitty1973
I don't understand why there's always talk of shortening the game. I honestly don't hear alot of people complaining about it. Personally, I enjoy being out there all the time and when the game is over it's a bummer to know it'll be another week before I can suit up again. Also, what's the point of the HL and L changing sides after each half? What does that benefit?
Switching sides? What on earth are they trying to accomplish? I agree, after the 4th quarter, I cannot wait until the following week. I just love the atmosphere that the game gives me. I think if your crew works well together, than things you can do throughout the game can help speed up a few things. It just takes teamwork and determination to accomplish it.