The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA New Rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28512-ncaa-new-rule.html)

Jay R Tue Sep 26, 2006 04:07pm

NCAA New Rule

Regarding the new NCAA rule not granting a timeout to an airborne player, I assume that we will still grant the TO if a player is falling out-of bounds but not airborne. One foot on the floor is sufficient?

Any comments?

Dan_ref Tue Sep 26, 2006 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R
Regarding the new NCAA rule not granting a timeout to an airborne player, I assume that we will still grant the TO if a player is falling out-of bounds but not airborne. One foot on the floor is sufficient?

Any comments?

The new rule specifically states airborne player - I can't imagine how that also means we can't grant a TO to a player who has 1 foot on the floor and is not airborne.

Camron Rust Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
The new rule specifically states airborne player - I can't imagine how that also means we can't grant a TO to a player who has 1 foot on the floor and is not airborne.

Someone, somewhere will do just that....and argue the merits of it based on bogus criteria.

Nu1 Wed Sep 27, 2006 07:50am

It is covered on the eofficials website. Under 2006 Clinic Presentation Rules and Points of Emphasis. If one foot is touching in bounds or in the front court and the player has control, you grant the timeout.

I do not like the change, but I'll do as they say. If we (officials) can't see if a player stepped on the out-of-bounds line or division line before obtaining control of the ball and requesting a timeout...I'm not sure we'll be any better at seeing if a foot (or toe of a shoe) is still in contact with the floor and the player has control while requesting a timeout. Obviously the player who is a foot in the air and yelling for timeout is easy (you don't grant it), but...I still don't like the change, since the reasoning is we were getting it wrong under the former rule.

Kevzebra Wed Sep 27, 2006 09:24am

There will be some refinement of this one I believe. So if he/she is falling out of bounds with a foot in contact we grant the TO? Wait to see if he/she falls out of bounds? Kind of gray if you ask me. I think I will start off making sure they have control, one foot on the floor and go from there. I am sure there will be plenty of info at the NCAA meetings!

tmp44 Mon Oct 02, 2006 08:13am

Had an NCAA meeting yesterday where this was discusssed. We were told the following:

1) The rule applies to airborne players only. Thus, if a player has at least one foot on the ground, grant the TO. This covers the question of the "balancing act." As long as one foot is on the ground, grant the TO.

2) Player control of the ball is also required. One foot on the ground while not having control of the ball does not allow a TO to be warranted.

3) If the player is in the air and requests the TO, hold the whistle. If player lands legally (i.e. either in-bounds or in the frontcourt if it's a backcourt situation), grant the TO. If the player lands illegally (i.e. either OOB or in the backcourt), call the violation. Either way, the whistle should not be blown until the player lands on the floor.

zeke Mon Oct 02, 2006 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmp44
Had an NCAA meeting yesterday where this was discusssed. We were told the following:

1) The rule applies to airborne players only. Thus, if a player has at least one foot on the ground, grant the TO. This covers the question of the "balancing act." As long as one foot is on the ground, grant the TO.

2) Player control of the ball is also required. One foot on the ground while not having control of the ball does not allow a TO to be warranted.

3) If the player is in the air and requests the TO, hold the whistle. If player lands legally (i.e. either in-bounds or in the frontcourt if it's a backcourt situation), grant the TO. If the player lands illegally (i.e. either OOB or in the backcourt), call the violation. Either way, the whistle should not be blown until the player lands on the floor.

That is good to know and well written and explained. Thanks.

lrpalmer3 Thu Oct 12, 2006 08:49am

If the player lands out of bounds, I'd like to use the NFL mechanic when a receiver catches a ball out of bounds. Take both hands and sweep them across your body toward the direction of the sideline. I love it.

JRutledge Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:14am

This situation was covered in the NCAA Men's Meeting in Chicago by Hank Nicholas and his staff. One foot on the floor should be allowed to be granted for a timeout. I also believe this was in the PowerPoint Presentation that they showed us. So if someone is not granting the timeout with one foot on the floor and a player falling out of bounds, then shame on them.

Peace

Junker Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:23pm

We have our college rules meeting this weekend. I'm looking forward to hearing the interp on this one. I'll post if they say anything interesting that hasn't been disucussed so far.