The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Camron, I'm not dumping on you but how can you go to the table and then walk away without a final, definitive answer? Simply asking the official scorer (I'm assuming that's the "neutral scorer") to show you each and every foul in his book for that half and then asking the unofficial scorer (apparently there was one) if he agrees would have prevented any subsequent problem. If the scorebook *shows* 9 fouls and you agree that is correct then you're going to shoot 1&1. If you had definite knowledge the scorer missed a foul then fix it right then & shoot the 2. In any event settle it completely before you leave. Then when he buzzes you back over the scorer will need to explain exactly where the 10th foul came from and why it wasn't there when you and he went over this the first time.

This way your correctable error would have been avoided.
There was only one scorer...no other book to double check. I don't remember now how he discovered the error, but he did. Unless you plan on keeping the book entirely on your own while running down the floor, you'll never be able to prevent all bookkeeping errors....and even if you did keep the book, you'd still miss something somewhere.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I don't remember now how he discovered the error, but he did.
So after you stopped the game to determine exactly what the foul count was he discovered an error and you don't know how. But you decided he had the last word.

Great.

Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moref
Thank God it was a junior high game.

I been doing Varsity games for 10 years and I just could not remember the ruling, but I sure was glad it was Junior High.
I hope you're not getting paid for these games if you don't take them seriously enough to be concerned.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So after you stopped the game to determine exactly what the foul count was he discovered an error and you don't know how. But you decided he had the last word.

Great.

No, you misunderstood me. I said I do not remember the details of the scorebook error. This was 10+ years ago. Forgive me for not remembering all the details of the error. The point remains...you'll never be able to prevent all bookkeeping errors.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Oct 02, 2006 at 02:20am.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, you misunderstood me. I said I do not remember the details of the scorebook error. This was 10+ years ago. Forgive me for not remembering all the details of the error. The point remains...you'll never be able to prevent all bookkeeping errors.
That's where we disagree.

My point remains that you should always be able to prevent correctable errors.

Further, you should never go to the table to resolve a scorekeeper's error and walk away without a final, definitive answer.

Last edited by Dan_ref; Mon Oct 02, 2006 at 09:09am.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's where we disagree.

Further, you should never go to the table to resolve a scorekeeper's error and walk away without a final, definitive answer.
How can you absolutely, 100%, guarantee that that answer will be correct?

You can't. Even if the book fully crosschecks and everything adds up, it's possible that is is still wrong. Perhaps they recorded a foul on the wrong player/team...in the first minute of the game. Unless you remember every thing that happens on the floor (from beginning to end), there will be some errors that you can't fix.

Bear in mind that I am more than willing to stop and analyze the book if need be. I've taken several minutes on occassion to straighten out a poorly kept book to determine if we were in the bonus or not, if a player really has 5 fouls or not, what the score should be. But, when it all looks in order and adds up, you may not be able to find the error so easily.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How can you absolutely, 100%, guarantee that that answer will be correct?

You can't. Even if the book fully crosschecks and everything adds up, it's possible that is is still wrong. Perhaps they recorded a foul on the wrong player/team...in the first minute of the game. Unless you remember every thing that happens on the floor (from beginning to end), there will be some errors that you can't fix.
Camron, this really makes no sense.

How is it that you do not have the ability to remember and have definite knowledge of every single foul call in the game yet you easily give that ability to the scorer? Don't tell me because the scorer is recording everything, because you already went through everything that was recorded and didn't find anything wrong. And to convince yourself (hopefully) you conferred with your partner - "hey pard, book sez 9, I would swear we're at 10" - and finally everyone agreed the book had it right. So whatever new information the scorer has is not based on something he recorded - IOW neither you nor he has definite knowledge to change the book. Because if you did, you would have changed it the first time.

So, unless the scorer pulls out a slip of paper that says "Note to self: I gave the wrong team a foul in the first minute of the game" I'm not changing a thing.