The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I am struggling with understanding the rules of correcting errors. I have read the case book situations, and it seems that there are so many factors to consider. How does an official keep everything straight?? Are there any rules of thumb or simple guidelines to follow to know how to straighten out a situation?

Thanks,

Shon T.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

nothing simple about it.... sleep with your rule books and get as much experience as you can.....only gets easier with time!!!!
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Does the official stop play immediately when you recognize the error, or should you let it go until a dead ball and then fix it??
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Free throws

Quote:
Originally posted by shont
I am struggling with understanding the rules of correcting errors. I have read the case book situations, and it seems that there are so many factors to consider. How does an official keep everything straight?? Are there any rules of thumb or simple guidelines to follow to know how to straighten out a situation?

Thanks,

Shon T.
The main thing I've tried to remember is that all but one of the correctable errors (FED that is) have to do with free throws.

I think many times and I've seen senior officials try to correct an error that by rule, is NOT correctable.

But often times I've found in my own experience, that common sense goes a long long way in helping smooth these type of plays out.

After that just remember you can correct it during the first DEAD BALL after the clock starts.

After that its too late. It does get confusing with second live ball, dead ball, clock starting etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

So, if A should be shooting a double bonus, but I give them a 1&1 and A misses the front end, and B rebounds. Can we correct it while B is in possesion or do we have to wait until B scores or something else happens to make the ball dead?
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

stop and fix

Quote:
So, if A should be shooting a double bonus, but I give them a 1&1 and A misses the front end, and B rebounds. Can we correct it while B is in possesion or do we have to wait until B scores or something else happens to make the ball dead?
the quicker you stop it the better. Then you get into all of the could of and should of etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Shon T.
Here's how I learned:

1) Make a correctable error.
2) Stumble through it.
3) Re-read the book.
4) Vow to never have one again.

Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Thanks,

Shon T.
Here's how I learned:

1) Make a correctable error.
2) Stumble through it.
3) Re-read the book.
4) Vow to never have one again.

Bob, would you recommend making all 5 types in a single game, just to get it out of the way?
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Bob, would you recommend making all 5 types in a single game, just to get it out of the way?
If you put the wrong player at the wrong basket to shoot a FT that's not deserved, you can get three of them out of the way on one play.

Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
If you put the wrong player at the wrong basket to shoot a FT that's not deserved, you can get three of them out of the way on one play.

and when they miss the shot, if you erroneously count the score, you are up to four!
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Most definately stop immediately unless..

If Team A didn't get the correct free throws and you become aware of it while team B is driving to the basket, let him finish the play. Otherwise, stop immediately and resume at the point of interuption.