The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:19am
In Memoriam

(H)air Controller.

NFHS rules.... girls are using a white string, tied at the back of their heads, as a means of hair control. The tied ends of the string are about one-half inch long. Is the usage of these strings legal, by rule?
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NFHS rules.... girls are using a white string, tied at the back of their heads, as a means of hair control. The tied ends of the string are about one-half inch long. Is the usage of these strings legal, by rule?
No. It's not an "elastic band" (or whatever the specific wording in the rule is). It's treated the same as the ribbons in the school colors they sometimes try to wear.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
You already know my thinking on this, JR. It will probably never cause a problem, but it's not legal. I hate the fact that the FED continues to make officials the "fashion police", but them's the rules. Headbands, sweatbands, leggings, arm sleeves, fingernails. I just shake my head about the fingernails.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
You already know my thinking on this, JR. It will probably never cause a problem, but it's not legal. I hate the fact that the FED continues to make officials the "fashion police", but them's the rules. Headbands, sweatbands, leggings, arm sleeves, fingernails. I just shake my head about the fingernails.
Sounds almost like what I wrote earlier before JR deleted it!
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
Sounds almost like what I wrote earlier before JR deleted it!
That's nowhere near what you wrote. You never gave an opinion of any kind on what the correct ruling should be; instead you just flamed me. I got rid of the whole thread because it was waste of everybodys time the way it was going, and your response had no value at all to the subject being asked about.

Feel free to ignore me in the future.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Sep 28, 2006 at 10:00am.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:12am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That's nowhere near what you wrote. You never gave an opinion of any kind on what the correct ruling should be; instead you just flamed me.
This is true.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Does anyone have their rulebook with them today? I left mine at home. I hate the fashion police rules and do not read that section of the rule book with the same care that I do the rest of the rules. Honestly, if it isn't something that is a distraction or an injury risk, I am not going to worry about the hair strings as Jurassic described them. Not one bit.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Does anyone have their rulebook with them today? I left mine at home. I hate the fashion police rules and do not read that section of the rule book with the same care that I do the rest of the rules. Honestly, if it isn't something that is a distraction or an injury risk, I am not going to worry about the hair strings as Jurassic described them. Not one bit.
Yes, but JR didn't ask if we would enforce this rule in this situation. He asked if it was legal, by rule.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Rules

ART. 3 . . . Sweatbands, headwear and head decorations must meet the following guidelines:

a. Headbands and sweatbands must be white or similar in color to the torso of the jersey and must be the same color for each item and all participants. Only one item is permitted on the head and on each wrist. Items must be moisture-absorbing, nonabrasive and unadorned (except for logo, see 3-6).
b. Headbands may be a maximum of 2 inches (except for logo, see 3-6).
c. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow and may be a maximum of 4 inches (except for logo, see 3-6).

d. Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair.
e. Head decorations, except those specified above, are prohibited.

EXCEPTION: State associations may on an individual basis allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering if it meets the following criteria:

a. For medical or cosmetic reasons – In the event a participant is required by a licensed medical physician to cover his/her head with a covering or wrap, the physician's statement is required before the state association can approve a covering or wrap which is not abrasive, hard or dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly unlikely that it will come off during play.
b. For religious reasons – In the event there is documented evidence provided to the state association that a participant may not expose his/her uncovered head, the state association may approve a covering or wrap which is not abrasive, hard or dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly unlikely it will come off during play.

and

SECTION 7 SAFETY CONCERNS
The referee shall not permit any team member to participate if in his/her judgment, items such as a player's fingernails or hair style may constitute a safety concern.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Does anyone have their rulebook with them today?
Yup. Just got mine today, actually. 3-5-3d says that rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair. That's the only mention of legal headwear, other than headbands. String just ain't there.

Quote:
Honestly, if it isn't something that is a distraction or an injury risk, I am not going to worry about the hair strings as Jurassic described them.
I worry about it b/c I'm always concerned that I'm being observed. Last thing I need is for somebody to come in the locker room and mark me down b/c I let a kid on the red team wear a green headband -- or b/c I allowed strings in the hair. Is it gonna happen? Probably not. But why risk it. You can never get in trouble by following the rule, when it comes to uniforms.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Some string is made of cloth(cotton)....but not elastic?
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Yes, but JR didn't ask if we would enforce this rule in this situation. He asked if it was legal, by rule.
Exactly.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by euby
Some string is made of cloth(cotton)....but not elastic?
The problem isn't what the string is made of; the problem is that the string is not a band. A band is continuous.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:34am
Do not give a damn!!

So a string can never be elastic in nature?

If I am going to get dinged for that, I must be a pretty good official if that is the best an evaluator can come up with. I guess I will have to take my chances

Peace
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I hate the fashion police rules and do not read that section of the rule book with the same care that I do the rest of the rules.
Me too, Z, me too...but I was asked a specific question, which I brought here to get more opinions.