The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:17am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
I think if most of us see this play live and not in writing we call it a blocking foul.
Timing is an issue for me here. If the player turned his back and then it was a turn, bang situation, I might see it as a block. If player was already stationary with back to player driving its definately Player control.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Timing is an issue for me here. If the player turned his back and then it was a turn, bang situation, I might see it as a block. If player was already stationary with back to player driving its definately Player control.
Why? There's no rules prerequisite that the player has to be stationary that I know of. They can't be moving towards the dribbler/shooter. And both the NCAA and NFHS rules say that the defender can legally turn or duck to protect themselves from imminent contact-- NCAA rule 4-33-6(g) and NFHS rule 4-23-3(g).
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:40am
MABO Member

Yea I agree. That's why timing is the issue for me. If the defender turns at the last moment not necessarily to protect themself but the movement takes tehm into the path of the offensive player just as they are passing. Simultaneously getting to the same spot I suppose you could say. I MAY have a Block. Once again unless I am there to see the play I can't say for sure. Stationary defender as in the OP I got a PC.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
That's why timing is the issue for me. If the defender turns at the last moment not necessarily to protect themself but the movement takes them into the path of the offensive player just as they are passing. Simultaneously getting to the same spot I suppose you could say. I MAY have a Block.
Again, rule-wise, you've got me confused a little on this one too.

Once the defender has established a legal guarding position, he can then move laterally into the path of the dribbler and he also doesn't have to give time/distance. The onus for any contact would lie with the dribbler in this case. If the subsequent contact is on the torso of the defender, I've got a block every time.

Thoughts?
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
I think if most of us see this play live and not in writing we call it a blocking foul.

You keep saying that, but it isn't right. Why would you call a block on someone who is standing there and just got mowed down? I can't figure out how in the world could you see this as a block.