The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

You cannot accurately assess FIBA officials unless you know FIBA rules, philosophy and mechanics.

IMO, the officials' game mangement skills were the equal of any. If you watched the 2004 Olympics, the difference was remarkable (Eurobasket officials boycotted the 2004 Olympics, as I recall).

As far as the FIBA rules and mechanics, I have no idea. The semi-finals and the finals were the only games where I noticed a 3-second call or a lane violation (both against Lebron James, I think), so I'm sure the rules philosophy is different as well.

How can we assess whether they are doing a good job or not? Consistency, lack of controversy, controlling potential violence, well played games - by all these standards, the officiating was outstanding.

As for any other standard, I'll leave that to those more familiar with the FIBA rules and mechanics.