The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Bill Lambieer WNBA Playoffs

I can't believe the amount of crap that the referees are taking from Bill Lambieer during the playoffs.

He is a hugh distraction, constantly yelling at the referees about every call. The camera is on him as much as the game itself. Last night one of the referees finally called a long overdue T on him and then amazingly took it back saying that it was an inadvertent whistle. It was obvious that the referee had called a T right in front of him.

What's up with the WNBA referees. Looks to me like they have been given instructions that Lamibeer is off limits.

Last edited by jdccpa; Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 03:20am.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Hey...what do you expect...he was a big cry baby when he played to. He would give the big flying elbow and whine about it when the foul was called. Wouldn't expect anything less as a coach.

At least Walton isn't doing the commentary!
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

He got his a$$ kicked last night. 95-71.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

I don't find it hard to believe Lambeer was complaining. I think he is an entertaining interview, but once the game starts, he was always a cry baby. Secondly, it looks like there were 3 people watching the WNBA? Is that an all time ratings high? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I don't find it hard to believe Lambeer was complaining. I think he is an entertaining interview, but once the game starts, he was always a cry baby. Secondly, it looks like there were 3 people watching the WNBA? Is that an all time ratings high? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Actually 5, if you count myself and JRut. (Oops, I wasn't supposed to tell anyone. )

I missed the T, because I wasn't watching the whole game. When did it happen? And wasn't he miked, so was there any explanation as to what actually happend?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Bill Laimbeer's behavior has always been a detriment to the sport of basketball. It's too bad as he is an intelligent, likeable person off the court. In Isiah Thomas last game in the Old Boston Garden, I saw him stick an elbow out on a screen of Sherman Douglas that almost took Sherman's eye out. His style of "physical" basketball was always just "flagrant" fouls. They intended to do injury. The kids during the Bad Boys Era went just crazy with pushing and shoving.

He is one of the WNBA's Big names. The behavior they let him display is an affront to all the parents bringing their kids to watch the games which are often great.

QUESTION: I saw this one last night and I admit I'm stumped to find the NFHS Rule to support my opinion. I thought it was a good call. Player A holding ball is airborne over end line. Player B slides on floor and arm extends OOB. Player B touches airborne Player A with other arm. The Ref called it OOB with Team A maintaining pocession. Is there an NFHS Rule that supports this case?
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrow
QUESTION: I saw this one last night and I admit I'm stumped to find the NFHS Rule to support my opinion. I thought it was a good call. Player A holding ball is airborne over end line. Player B slides on floor and arm extends OOB. Player B touches airborne Player A with other arm. The Ref called it OOB with Team A maintaining pocession. Is there an NFHS Rule that supports this case?
If I understand the scenario you are describing (and I'm not sure that I do), this would be nothing in NFHS. See case play 7.1.1 Situation A.

In your case, out-of-bounds player B1 makes contact with A1. This does not cause A1 to be out of bounds since a player is not an object.

Z
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Actually 5, if you count myself and JRut. (Oops, I wasn't supposed to tell anyone. )
Bill Lambieer is a coach in the WNBA? I thought the season ended last week.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

There was a play the a player for Sacramento was driving to the basketball and was fouled by Detroit and he was actually Booing the referee for the call. when they showed the play from a different angle it was an obvious call and the referee made a good call. The camera went to Lambieer, he still was booing the ref's. that is Bull $-it. He must be hands off.

Last edited by REFVA; Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 02:09pm.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 01:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
There was a play the a player for Sacramento was driving to the basketball and was fouled by Detroit and he was actually Booing the referee for the call. when they showed the play from a different angle it was an obvious call and the referee made a good call. The camera went to him, he still was booing the ref's. that is Bull $-it. He must be hands off.
He? In an WNBA game? How did...um...Shorty pass the physical?

Oh, you meant Laimbeer?

Nevermind.......
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He? In an WNBA game? How did...um...Shorty pass the physical?

Oh, you meant Laimbeer? Jurassic referee
Yes, That's who I meant, Do you need glasses? Please reread my post LOL

Last edited by REFVA; Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 02:10pm.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Secondly, it looks like there were 3 people watching the WNBA? Is that an all time ratings high? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Not quite. Saw the sports ricker on the bottom of the screen on ESPNU.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

jdccpa,

I saw exactly what you were talking about. The official is coming up the court directly infront of the bench and Lambier is having his whine fest. You see the official blow the whistle and bring the upper hand down and the lower hand up to complete the magical T. As the official advances takes his two steps over to the bench to report you can hear Bill shouting 'you are calling a T on me????' and then after a brief pause the announcers say inadvertant whistle. Instead of shutting the hades up, Bill continues with the 'you will check the video at halftime right'.. I did the little rewind and there is no 'inadvertant whistle', there was nothing to be inadvertant about. The official made a decision to blow his whistle and then realized that he probably didn't want to loose a paycheck, so he tucked his manhood up and went on with the game.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Laimbeer is a lousy leader. They must be putting a microphone on the coaches, because you can really hear them, or the arena is just so empty. I can't stand the way he talks to his players. The openly challenging their courage and desire is the fastest way to get them to loathe him. Their success is likely as much in spite of his motivation techniques as because of.

I agree it seems like they've been told not to whak him. He's out of control. On the other hand, I think we can all agree that the calibre of the crews seems to be below that of D1. Doesn't justify his abuse though.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 12:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7
I agree it seems like they've been told not to whak him. He's out of control. On the other hand, I think we can all agree that the calibre of the crews seems to be below that of D1. Doesn't justify his abuse though.
I am not a huge fan of Women's basketball, but this comment is ludicrous. Most of the officials that work in the WNBA are currently D1 officials. Or they are on the track to actually work NBA games.

Also, let us not overact about Lambieer or any coach. The coach is miked up. It is not like every comment is heard by the officials or directed at the officials. And these are professionals. If you ever worked a college game, there are many college coaches that are tougher on their players than Lambieer ever will be. I have an officiating friend whose daughter plays at a Big Ten school. One of her best friends is Candice Parker (they played together in AAU and their families know each other really well). Some of the Pat Summit comments I have heard about are a lot worse than anything I have heard Lambieer say when I was watching SportsCenter.

Peace