The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 17, 2002, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Has anybody been watching the WNBA playoffs except me? I need someone to help me with what I thought I saw today, but I'm not sure.

LA against Seattle. LA ahead by quite a few, last three minutes or so of the game. I think what happened was that an LA player shoved the ball into a Seattle player's face, causing a minor injury, it appeared, and getting a technical foul.

(Unfortunately, the circumstances under which I was watching the live broadcase were less that prime, and the tape I thought was running at home, wasn't. AUGH!!! I guess I haven't got the hang of Saturdays, either...)

If someone could enlighten me about the specifics, and then comment on this play in light of the discussions we have had about fouls without body contact, I'd appreciate it.
Old Sun Aug 18, 2002, 01:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Has anybody been watching the WNBA playoffs except me?
No.
Old Sun Aug 18, 2002, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Nope,

I only watch professional basketball.
Old Sun Aug 18, 2002, 08:41pm
Esteemed Participant

Now that the smaert-asses are through posting...I did not see the game, but under both Fed and NCAA rules the play you describe could be ruled unsportmanlike conduct (or unsporting conduct as I believe the correct term is) which would be a T...
Old Sun Aug 18, 2002, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Golly

My answer wasn't meant to be "smaert-assed". It is exactly how an awful lot of people feel.
Old Sun Aug 18, 2002, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

The definition of professional basketball is that the players are paid to play. So, like it or not, the WNBA is professional basketball. There's nothing wrong with the WNBA. If you don't like it, that's fine. But there's no need to put it down for those who do.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 12:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Cool You need to smoke something and relax!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The definition of professional basketball is that the players are paid to play. So, like it or not, the WNBA is professional basketball. There's nothing wrong with the WNBA. If you don't like it, that's fine. But there's no need to put it down for those who do.
Only you would claim that someone is putting people down because they did not call the WNBA a professional league. Unbelieveable !!!!!!!!!!!

Peace
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 12:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Golly

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
My answer wasn't meant to be "smaert-assed". It is exactly how an awful lot of people feel.
I love football much more than any other sport. Football season is about to start. I would rather watch Pre-Season football (which is a complete joke to watch) then waste my time watching the WNBA Regular Season or Post-Season. So you are by far the only one.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Don't get your litte girl panties in a wad, Rutledge. The remark was a smarta$$ reply to rainmaker, just like rocky stated.

BTW, you, a white hat? Gimme a break!

They must be hard up for referees in Chicago.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 12:42am
Do not give a damn!!

As I said......

only you would try to turn someone's comments into a knock one people that share a different opinion.

And about the white hat thing. It shows that your opinion means nothing in the bigger picture of anything.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Golly

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
So you are by far the only one.
WTH does that mean? You just told him you agree with him, then you tell him he's the only one who doesn't like it. Good grief!
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Only you would claim that someone is putting people down because they did not call the WNBA a professional league.
Unbelieveable !!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, he isn't the only one. I would too. By definition it is a professional league. It doesn't take much intelligence to see it was a smart-*** reply, but that has never stopped you before.

Z
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Nope,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I only watch professional basketball.
Interesting - if not smart @ssed - response. A lot of us (some of us?) don't really watch ANY pro basketball, because of the way it's called these days.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Until the NBA’s basket is raised to 12 feet and the court area is increased by 25% I would say that the WNBA is a purer form of basketball than the men play. To say nothing of the “showtime” attitude of the NBA.

In my NOT so humble opinion, basketball for men stops at the NC2A.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 11:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Double standards?

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Actually, he isn't the only one. I would too. By definition it is a professional league. It doesn't take much intelligence to see it was a smart-*** reply, but that has never stopped you before.

Z
Of course you would. You and Tony are some of the most sensitive people around here. Of course you would take offense to someone being critical of the WNBA. I know you would not think it was a "smart-***" statement. But I have never heard Tony or you get so upset when people talk about the NBA like that (and they do and have several times). And there are many people here that cannot stand the NBA as well.

I will be expecting the same comment from you when someone makes a smart-*** comment about how the NBA is not "basketball" or something to that effect.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Aug 19th, 2002 at 11:17 AM]