The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

8/10 panel ball

I thought FED changed the rules to allow a 10 panel ball a year or two ago but I don't see that listed under 1-12, requirements for the ball. Then again it doesn't say it's not allowed either. What section covers this?
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 01:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc
I thought FED changed the rules to allow a 10 panel ball a year or two ago but I don't see that listed under 1-12, requirements for the ball. Then again it doesn't say it's not allowed either. What section covers this?
There are no rule requirements of how many panels are on the ball. I do not know if there ever was anything covering the panels on the ball. There were no rules changes about the 10 panel ball. I can assume that a 2 panel ball or a 15 panel ball is acceptable if it fits the specifics of the rule. You are not going to find any rule that specifically covers this.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 02:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc
You think right. Up until 2003-04, the rules specified 8 panels. In 2003-04, the FED deleted any reference as to the number of panels required.

All anybody really has to remember now is that the ball should have an "NFHS" on it somewhere.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
There are no rule requirements of how many panels are on the ball. I do not know if there ever was anything covering the panels on the ball. There were no rules changes about the 10 panel ball. I can assume that a 2 panel ball or a 15 panel ball is acceptable if it fits the specifics of the rule. You are not going to find any rule that specifically covers this.
????????

Sometimes these off the cuff responses, of which you have given a few lately, annoy me. If you don't know, why don't you do a little research before replying or just wait a bit and let someone who does provide the answer. It may not seem like a big thing to you, but if the questioner sees your quick response and then fails to check back later for others, he could very well be misled and that is not what we desire on this forum.

As the OP asked "a year or two ago" and JR correctly answered "in 2003-04 the FED deleted" the part of 1-12-1c that said "with the traditionally shaped eight panels." This change was in direct response to the development of the new 10-panel ball. In the comments to the rules revisions that year the NFHS wrote, "This change deletes the previously required eight panels on a legal basketball," as well as "Now schools are provided other options for practice and competition. This is a new product that may permit the players to control the ball better..."

So, OC, you have the correct rule reference, and now also knowing the rationale behind the 2003-04 change to make the rule less specific and more encompassing, you can be sure that a 10-panel ball is allowed in NFHS play.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Lock it!!! Lock this one now!!! Before it's too late!!!!
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Lock it!!! Lock this one now!!! Before it's too late!!!!
C'mon, not yet.

I got a hankerin' for some popcorn.

(And when was the last time I ever used the word "hankerin'"? )

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 10:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy

(And when was the last time I ever used the word "hankerin'"? )
Don't ya remember?

When you went to Cleveland, we asked you "why".......and you said "because I've got a hanker for a canker".

You always did have poetic tendencies(which kinda explains the ballet shoes).

Please note that, yes, that was one of those "off-the-cuff responses" that you've heard so much about.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:19am.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You always did have poetic tendencies(which kinda explains the ballet shoes).
Huh, how 'bout that:

I'm a poet.

And I don't know it.

But my feet show it.

They're Longfellows.

Anyway, my cuff's always dirty from food stains, so I don't understand off-the-cuff remarks. But I do remember some mention about a 10-panel ball as well. Has anyone ever had to "throw out" a ball because it wasn't considered legal? I mean, other than the using the wrong size ball (girl's ball in a boy's game, etc.), I don't know if I've ever seen an "illegal" ball.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 10:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm a poet.

And I don't know it.

But my feet show it.

They're Longfellows.
And they smell like Dickens....

I'm a poet too.....

A yellow bird with a yellow bill
Sat upon my window sill
I lured her in with a crust of bread
And gently crushed her f***ing head.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:38am.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And they smell like Dickens....
It's those damn ballet shoes - no ventilation.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 11:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Nevada,

Pull the stick out of your ***. In all the rulebooks I have, there is no reference of how many panels on the ball (the oldest I can find it 2002-03).If that was changed, it was not an announced change. The 2002-2003 does not say anything in the rulebook that says the amount of panels on a basketball. I will look in a NF Pre-Season Guide when I get around to it, but I do not remember this ever being a change. There might have been a change, but honestly I would not care about this change. If the ball had 6 panels (even thought I have never seen a ball with that many panels) you still played the game. The amount of panels on the ball is about as important as how long the net has to be. If there was a rules change, great.

The only place I have seen a 10 panel ball used was at the college level. Also when I have seen a ball without the NF mark, we still play the game.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm a poet too.....

A yellow bird with a yellow bill
Sat upon my window sill
I lured her in with a crust of bread
And gently crushed her f***ing head.
Has anyone mentioned recently that you're going straight to he!!?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 01:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Nevada,

Pull the stick out of your ***. In all the rulebooks I have, there is no reference of how many panels on the ball (the oldest I can find it 2002-03).If that was changed, it was not an announced change. The 2002-2003 does not say anything in the rulebook that says the amount of panels on a basketball. I will look in a NF Pre-Season Guide when I get around to it, but I do not remember this ever being a change. There might have been a change, but honestly I would not care about this change. If the ball had 6 panels (even thought I have never seen a ball with that many panels) you still played the game. The amount of panels on the ball is about as important as how long the net has to be. If there was a rules change, great.

The only place I have seen a 10 panel ball used was at the college level. Also when I have seen a ball without the NF mark, we still play the game.

Peace
I'll save you the trouble of looking. Just go back to your 2002-03 rule book, open it to p.13 and look at rule 1-12-1(c). That rule says "it shall have a deeply pebbled cover with the traditionally shaped eight panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass". Then look on p.74 of the 2003-04 rulebook under COMMENTS ON THE 2003-04 RULES REVISIONS. The first comment says This change deletes the previously required eight panels on a legal basketball. The new description of a legal basketball has been changed to "a deeply-pebbled cover with horizontally shaped panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass".

It's true, it's true....
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 01:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Has anyone mentioned recently that you're going straight to he!!?
Yup....Rainmaker.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'll save you the trouble of looking. Just go back to your 2002-03 rule book, open it to p.13 and look at rule 1-12-1(c). That rule says "it shall have a deeply pebbled cover with the traditionally shaped eight panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass". Then look on p.74 of the 2003-04 rulebook under COMMENTS ON THE 2003-04 RULES REVISIONS. The first comment says This change deletes the previously required eight panels on a legal basketball. The new description of a legal basketball has been changed to "a deeply-pebbled cover with horizontally shaped panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass".

It's true, it's true....
I completely believe you. I would hope that someone has a lot more to worry about then what the specifics are on the basketball. If the rule does not care how many panels you have on the ball, then why worry about it (unless you are trying to win a bet or something like that). And for the record, you are not going to find any evidence in rulebooks since then that this requirement of panels ever existed.

Peace
Closed Thread