Thread: 8/10 panel ball
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 01:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Nevada,

Pull the stick out of your ***. In all the rulebooks I have, there is no reference of how many panels on the ball (the oldest I can find it 2002-03).If that was changed, it was not an announced change. The 2002-2003 does not say anything in the rulebook that says the amount of panels on a basketball. I will look in a NF Pre-Season Guide when I get around to it, but I do not remember this ever being a change. There might have been a change, but honestly I would not care about this change. If the ball had 6 panels (even thought I have never seen a ball with that many panels) you still played the game. The amount of panels on the ball is about as important as how long the net has to be. If there was a rules change, great.

The only place I have seen a 10 panel ball used was at the college level. Also when I have seen a ball without the NF mark, we still play the game.

Peace
I'll save you the trouble of looking. Just go back to your 2002-03 rule book, open it to p.13 and look at rule 1-12-1(c). That rule says "it shall have a deeply pebbled cover with the traditionally shaped eight panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass". Then look on p.74 of the 2003-04 rulebook under COMMENTS ON THE 2003-04 RULES REVISIONS. The first comment says This change deletes the previously required eight panels on a legal basketball. The new description of a legal basketball has been changed to "a deeply-pebbled cover with horizontally shaped panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass".

It's true, it's true....