Boneheads in sports

You can't make this stuff up

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ts-cover_x.htm

And the reaction

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...607290349/1002
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
LOL!!! Ok guys, here's the hand that feeds you. . .

So after that response from the team, when do you suppose they'll make the Devil Rays 25-man roster? Sounded to me like they were gonna get to wait an extra year.

P.S. -- you home now, Dan?
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

The manager/GM should have come out and plainly said, "hey, they'd all be here already if not for the trouble they've gotten into."

That is probably at least partially true.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 06:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

All three sound like candidates for the Trailblazers.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send their collective asses back to A ball, if they think they're showering in sewer water.

BTW, the DBAP is one of the newest minor league stadiums in the country. Very nice. The old DAP, where "Bull Durham" was filmed, was closed years ago. But to hear this guy talk, you'd think they were still playing there.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Jul 30, 2006 at 10:44am.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Seen their collective asses back to A ball
That gets my vote!
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 01:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

This is reflective with the whole problem of how pro sports works. The players mentioned think somehow they have some kind of "entitlement" because of their athletic abilities. What they, and most other pro athletes don't realize, is that they do not get paid because they can perform. They get paid because people are willing to pay to watch them perform!

When people finally get fed up and stop supporting these guys, they will all be out of a job and instead of saying "I don't play for anyone but my teammates", they can start saying "You want fries with that?".

If you want to "blame" someone for the outrageous salaries paid and the attitudes of pro athletes, then blame those who pay to see them, buy their merchandise and buy the products of those who sponsor them.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
This is reflective with the whole problem of how pro sports works. The players mentioned think somehow they have some kind of "entitlement" because of their athletic abilities. What they, and most other pro athletes don't realize, is that they do not get paid because they can perform. They get paid because people are willing to pay to watch them perform!

When people finally get fed up and stop supporting these guys, they will all be out of a job and instead of saying "I don't play for anyone but my teammates", they can start saying "You want fries with that?".

If you want to "blame" someone for the outrageous salaries paid and the attitudes of pro athletes, then blame those who pay to see them, buy their merchandise and buy the products of those who sponsor them.
AMEN!!!!!!!!
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

These comments from the players in the USA Today article sound very similar to officials who "expect" that they will be hired into a "higher/better" league. Way too many people think they are a lot better than they are. The problem - in their eyes - is with someone else; the current situation is never a result of their own actions.....

Statistics or ratings are rarely the sole reason why people are promoted; merely a quantifiable justification.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I saw on ESPN today that Elijah Dukes, one of the players mentioned in the article, was suspended indefinitely by the Tampa Bay organization from an incident that happened last week. I cannot find if the "incident" was connected with the article, or if it was something else.

Must've been something in the water.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 04:55pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
AMEN!!!!!!!!
Amen to the amen!
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I saw on ESPN today that Elijah Dukes, one of the players mentioned in the article, was suspended indefinitely by the Tampa Bay organization from an incident that happened last week. I cannot find if the "incident" was connected with the article, or if it was something else.

Must've been something in the water.

Dukes Suspended Indefinitely Again
Published: Aug 2, 2006

ST. PETERSBURG - For the second time this season, the Rays have suspended Triple-A Durham OF Elijah Dukes indefinitely. This time, Dukes appears to be questioning his future as a baseball player.

The former Hillsborough High standout received a five-game suspension last week from the International League after being ejected for arguing balls and strikes. He was to be reinstated by the IL on Tuesday, but the Rays followed up with Tuesday's indefinite suspension pending a review of the incident.

It is believed that the review could be completed by the weekend and might include no additional suspension, but in a telephone interview conducted by Baseball America on Tuesday, Dukes brought up the possibility that his baseball career could be over.

"I have no idea when or if I'll be back," Dukes told Baseball America.. "I packed up all my stuff and I'm headed home. To be honest, I don't even know about baseball anymore. Everything is just wearing on me and this year has just been so frustrating."

Devil Rays director of minor-league operations Mitch Lukevics declined to comment, saying he had yet to read the Baseball America report.

Dukes also was frustrated with his role in last Friday's USA Today article, in which he, B.J. Upton and Delmon Young were cast as a trio of talented, yet disgruntled, prospects. He added that the organization wrongly considers him a "bad influence" on Upton and Young.

LINKS IN LINEUP: Upton's speed and on-base percentage may make him the prototypical leadoff hitter, but he hit eighth in Manager Joe Maddon's lineup.

"[B.J.'s] got a lot going on right now mentally, and I want to take some of that off of him," Maddon said. "I want him to relax and work his way into the major leagues."

Maddon likes what CF Rocco Baldelli has done hitting leadoff lately, including two doubles and two runs scored Monday. His other priority was keeping Upton and Ben Zobrist around Baldelli and Carl Crawford without moving run producers like Jorge Cantu down in the order.

"I'd like to keep those guys linked," Maddon said. "So even though it's 8-9, it's 8-9-1-2 to me."

AROUND THE HORN: IF Ty Wigginton said doctors have told him his fractured left hand could heal in three weeks, slightly faster than the four-to-six week prognosis given right after the injury occurred last Saturday. … LHP Scott Kazmir threw off flat ground Tuesday, and plans to do the same at least one more time before his next bullpen session, which has yet to be scheduled. … Rays prospect Josh Hamilton will have his left knee examined next week by orthopedic surgeon and team medical director James Andrews. … RHP Dan Miceli, who has pitched three scoreless innings of relief during his rehab assignment at Double-A Montgomery, may be activated from the disabled list as soon as this weekend.

Bart O'Connell
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 08:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Send their collective asses back to A ball, if they think they're showering in sewer water.

BTW, the DBAP is one of the newest minor league stadiums in the country. Very nice. The old DAP, where "Bull Durham" was filmed, was closed years ago. But to hear this guy talk, you'd think they were still playing there.
I've been to both and concur, Tony.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 01:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
These comments from the players in the USA Today article sound very similar to officials who "expect" that they will be hired into a "higher/better" league. Way too many people think they are a lot better than they are. The problem - in their eyes - is with someone else; the current situation is never a result of their own actions.....

Statistics or ratings are rarely the sole reason why people are promoted; merely a quantifiable justification.
Not very different than what people say when they come here to complain about not getting hired. Not much different than what officials say about their associations or the assignors they work for.

This is just another example of someone feeling they are entitled to something they have yet to earn. This is no different in sports or other aspects of life. Sports are only a reflection on what people do in other aspects of society

Peace