Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
He issued a T to a player who said, “Bullsh!t call!” and then T'd the asst coach who complained about it. Isn't that having rabbit ears? Isn't that what you said about my removing a fan who yelled, "That's bullsh!t."?
What was that you were saying in the other thread to me about walking and talking?....
Ahhhh...so now you're AGAINST T'ing players or coaches for objectionable language.

Tell ya what my friend. Why don't you go figure out exactly what your position is & get back to us when it's all clear to you.

OK?
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
It makes absolutely no difference whether the coach was a bigot or not.

That's not the point, although you continue to hammer it home for some reason.

What matters is that it was a racist remark.

Why?

Because he called the official a bigot based on his belief that the official was making calls against his team because of the color of their skin.

Do you disagree with that last statement?

Do you not see the racist implications in that statement?
How about a hypothetical situation where the official is actually a bigot? And the official was in fact making calls against his team because of the color of their skin? Is this still a racist remark?

What if the partners didn't help the official out not because they were weak, but because they agreed with the assistant coach and left the official out to hang deliberately? Again this is strictly a hypothetical situation and I don't mean to imply this occured in this situation at all.

If someone is a bigot and you call him a bigot, is this a racist remark? How can the truth be a racist remark?
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 11:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
How about a hypothetical situation where the official is actually a bigot? And the official was in fact making calls against his team because of the color of their skin? Is this still a racist remark?

What if the partners didn't help the official out not because they were weak, but because they agreed with the assistant coach and left the official out to hang deliberately? Again this is strictly a hypothetical situation and I don't mean to imply this occured in this situation at all.

If someone is a bigot and you call him a bigot, is this a racist remark? How can the truth be a racist remark?
Now that's funny...LOL
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Yes, it would. Whether the allegation is true or not has nothing to do with whether it's racist or not. If you accuse me of making calls against your team because of the color of their skin, that's a racist remark, allegation, has racial overtones, whatever you want to call it.

Do you think the coach would have called him a bigot if he had been black?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have heard black coaches call black officials bigoted in my time. "You are a bigot...You hate your own race!"

We are talking about coaches here.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yes, it would. Whether the allegation is true or not has nothing to do with whether it's racist or not. If you accuse me of making calls against your team because of the color of their skin, that's a racist remark, allegation, has racial overtones, whatever you want to call it.

No, he might have called him a sell out. That has nothing to do with racism.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 03:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
No, he might have called him a sell out.
Peace
I was going to say the exact same thing...and to me that would go to integrity. In fact, to me, any word/phrase that isn't a direct racial epitath, doesn't fall under the title of racism in this scenario. JMO
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 03:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I was going to say the exact same thing...and to me that would go to integrity. In fact, to me, any word/phrase that isn't a direct racial epitath, doesn't fall under the title of racism in this scenario. JMO
I'm confused as hell now.

What exactly is the official supposed to be selling out, if not his race?

Please explain.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 04:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I'm confused as hell now.

What exactly is the official supposed to be selling out, if not his race?

Please explain.
It's a derogatory (IMO) term/phrase ("sell-out"; "you're selling out your people", etc) I've heard some African-Americans use. It may be used within other ethnic/racial cultures, I don't know. But I have heard it, many times. And to me I always take it as someone questioning another's motives and/or integrity for making a certain, unpopular decision.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 04:10pm.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 04:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
It's a derogatory (IMO) term/phrase ("sell-out"; "you're selling out your people", etc) I've heard some African-Americans use. It may be used within other ethnic/racial cultures, I don't know. But I have heard it, many times. And to me I always take it as someone questioning another's motives and/or integrity for making a certain, unpopular decision.
Now I'm even more confused.....

By "your people", do you mean that the black coach is saying that the black official is a bigot because he is selling out his people-i.e. his fellow African-Americans?

If so, please explain how this could not be racial in nature?

If not, please enlighten me as to why this isn't racial.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 05:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If not, please enlighten me as to why this isn't racial.
I do not think this is possible. People have been telling you it is different and you insist it is the same thing or is an offensive situation. There is no way anyone is going to enlighten you when you do not really want to be enlightened.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 05:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think this is possible. People have been telling you it is different and you insist it is the same thing or is an offensive situation. There is no way anyone is going to enlighten you when you do not really want to be enlightened.

Peace
Actually, I am enlightened when it comes to you. You're predictable as hell and you'll never change. If a white guy says something to a black guy, it's racial. If a black guy says exactly the same thing to a white guy, it's not racial, but there's no use explaining it because if you're not black, you'll never will be able to understand anything about racism anyway.

That pretty much cover it?

Btw, that's why I was responding to BadNewsRef and not to you. It's a complete waste of time trying to talk to you. I always know what you're going to say.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 05:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Actually, I am enlightened when it comes to you. You're predictable as hell and you'll never change. If a white guy says something to a black guy, it's racial. If a black guy says exactly the same thing to a white guy, it's not racial, but there's no use explaining it because if you're not black, you'll never will be able to understand anything about racism anyway.

That pretty much cover it?
Actually you do not know me at all. And you do not know how I deal with all kinds of adversity or white people. I grew up in a white community and went to largely white schools and I know the difference between a racial incident and a reference to race. And it seems like any reference, comment or pointing out anything dealing with race makes you extremely uncomfortable on many levels. And it is not just a Black guy telling you this, it is a bunch of people that half the time do not agree with me are telling you how much you are missing the boat on this issue.

Quote:
Btw, that's why I was responding to BadNewsRef and not to you. It's a complete waste of time trying to talk to you. I always know what you're going to say.
If you only wanted one person to read your posts or respond to you, then send them a PM. Then you will never have to worry about who responds or comments to you on a public forum.

Also I really could give a damn what some internet officials says about me when I deal with people of many more races than you ever will or ever have in your old tired life.

Buuuubye!!!

Peace
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

JimGolf -- making a statement to someone, whether it is true or not, does not invalidate the fact that it is neither racist nor true. Weather calling someone who is a racist a bigot is true or not, the statement made to that person, in either case, is a racist statement and in and of itself would warrant a flagrant T IMO.

Its like calling someone a f@g -- wether true or not its derogatory because the terms connotation is a derogatory one.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 06:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
JimGolf -- making a statement to someone, whether it is true or not, does not invalidate the fact that it is neither racist nor true. Weather calling someone who is a racist a bigot is true or not, the statement made to that person, in either case, is a racist statement and in and of itself would warrant a flagrant T IMO.

Its like calling someone a f@g -- wether true or not its derogatory because the terms connotation is a derogatory one.
Calling someone a f@g is a derogatory term. Calling someone a "n@gg@r" is a derogatory term. "Accusing" someone of bigotry is not in any way derogatory and might be actually true in many cases. I guess if someone accuses a Police force of having bigotry in their department (despite evidence to back that up with racial profiling or possible shootings), the person making that statement is a racist. Remember, Martin Luther King went all over this country accusing bigotry and racism in many aspects of life. By that logic everything MLK stood for and was fighting against was all based on his own personal racist feelings. I guess people like Marcus Garvey, W.E.B Dubois and even people like Cornell West, Dr. Alvin Pousaint (sp?) and Chris Rock are all a bunch of racists because they have pointed out bigotry in their writings, lectures, teachings and speeches/stand up acts.

Peace
Closed Thread